Solo: A Star Wars Story

New or old, like or dislike – discuss them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Caught this one last night and I thought it was awesome.

More detailed, but not particularly deep ruminations, spoilered JIC:

I'd avoided reading reviews so it came as a surprise that Emilia Clarke was playing the female lead, and I didn't really twig until the end. (She really does look different without a long silver wig.) Okay, we has a fair idea of how it would all turn out, but it still had a enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. Though I dare say if I'd been thinking a little harder I could have seen the twists coming, but that was also part of the films awesomeness, none of the twists were totally left field and they were all true to the characters.

Very well acted I thought, Alden Ehrenreich did a great job has the young Han, cocky but still learning and Donald Glover had, IMNHO, provided the right level of roguish charism for Lando. And there was solid acting in talent in the other roles, I've mentioned Emilia Clarke as the female lead, we also had Paul Bettany as a scarily chilling Galactic Gangster and Woody Harlesden as the young Han's mentor.

I say I'd avoided reviews and that's largely true, but I couldn't help catching a couple of headlines, "Solo: a touching bromance between Han and Chewy" which I think is a good point. The evolving friendship between those two is a high point of the movie.

Another said that Solo wasted it's female characters. IMHO: twaddle. The female characters may not have all had huge roles, but they all had impact. Emiia Clarke's character did not sit around waiting for Han to rescue her, but saved herself. Even though it cost her deeply. L3 was fun, and relative new comer Erin Kellyman had a surprising amount of depth to her character.

Basically I came out of the movie going "Wow!" And oddly I'd be happy to see more about these characters and the early days of Han, Chewy, Lando et al.

END OF SPOILERS.

As ever all JIMHO & YMMV. :)
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"