The Hobbit

New or old, like or dislike – discuss them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

The Hobbit

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 am

Saw The Hobbit last night and here are my, SPOILER FREE, witterrings about it.

The Hobbit was one of my favourite books growing up so I was little nervous to hear that they had made THREE movies out of it, each THREE hours long. Frankly I felt that you could do The Hobbit justice in just one three hour movie.

So I watched it and found myself thinking, “They left that part out. Why?” “And they changed that. Why?” and “That wasn’t in the book! So why did they put it in?” And I found myself answering, “Cos’ it doesn’t really move the story along.”, “Some things which work well on the printed page, won’t work so well on the silver screen.” And ” Okay it wasn’t in The Hobbit, but we know from The Lord of the Rings that it, or something very like it, did happen.” OTOH I also sometimes found my self answering with, “Cos’ the Director/Writer whatever doesn’t really get it!” and “They put that in it just for the merchandising potential.”

However it was very well acted and it did look fantastic

But I still think the whole book could have been done in one movie.

And yet . . .

Well my final word; at the start I was thinking “I’m not going to bother with any others in the series.” At the end I was thinking, “Wow! I want to see what happens next!”
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: The Hobbit

Post by Liz W » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Geoffrey, you beat me to it! :lol:

I, too, went to see The Hobbit yesterday

It took this long, as I wanted to re-read the book first; in some ways I wish I hadn't!

As Geoffrey has pointed out, there is so much extra in the film and a lot that they have changed.

However, it was very, very good; the quality was as superb as the 3 LotR films. The acting, effects, music and everything else was brilliant.

One thing and a very very tiny potential spoiler; the 2nd time the dwarves sing in Bag End, sent a shiver down my spine!

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 am

Caught 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' last Sunday, possibly the last opportunity to see it on the big screen in my area.

I'm glad I did since some of the scenes really do belong on the big screen; they are that spectacular.

But . . .

Okay 'The Hobbit' was one of my childhood favourites and I appreciate that what works great as a children's story may need tweaking to get it to work on screen before an audience of all ages, and that sometimes you're better off shrugging your shoulders and going, "Okay, its nothing like the book, let's just enjoy it as a movie in its own right."

But, having said that, all through the film I just couldn't stop saying to myself, "This was a major point in the book and they're just rushing through it!" And also "THAT/they/she/it wasn't in the book!" -ah well-

Which did rather cast a cloud over the movie because on it's own terms, it was fun and exciting, mostly. Sometimes the fight scenes lurched into silly rather than spectacular, and occasionally I found it dragging. And I find that a little gross out humour goes a looooooong way.

Ultimately though I will be trying to catch the third one on the big screen as well.

And my favourite moment? Which was (sort of), in the book as well . . .

(SPOILERED JIC)

. . . Bilbo realising that his plan to enable their escape from the Wood Elf King's domain has a weak point.

:D

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Finally caught 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' on the big screen.

Basically I am glad I went to see it. Very spectacular and some moments I found very moving.

But . . .

Usual thing with me, I was often thinking, "They've changed it and it's not an improvement." And sometimes I felt myself thinking that what was on the page would have looked better on the screen than what they did actually put on the screen e.g. the Dwarven army. And also, never mind the source material, there were occasions when it was just one spectacular (and improbable) fight scene after another and it started to just drag, and sometimes even the quiet moments went on way too long. -sigh-

But, overall, I am glad I went to see it.

And to finish on a positive, I did think Martin Freeman did a brilliant job in the role of Bilbo Baggins
Last edited by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordashram

Post by lordashram » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:34 pm

From the information I heard about it was just going to be 2 movies about the same length as the LOTR movies.

But the bean counters wanted 3 movies so they can milk it for all the money they can.

Otherwise the movies were enjoyable I love Smaug :twisted:
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Having finally seen The Battle of Five Armies (at home on dvd so possibly not to it's best advantage but...) this adaptation definitely felt stretched, with too many seemingly endless fights, cackling comic interludes, and rivers of unconvincing cgi gold, and overall nowhere near as satisfying as the extended versions of Lord of the Rings.

On the plus side I did enjoy seeing Gandalf's side quest to deal with The Necromancer (This article is quite interesting) and it tied in well with the quite reasonable thought that, since most people will have seen LOTR, it was only appropriate to explicitly include the foreshadowing of the following story.

On balance though, much as I still love Peter Jackson's adaptation of Lord of the Rings, this adaptation of The Hobbit leaves me reaching for the book itself or the BBC radio version, and wistfully wondering how Guillermo del Toro's two part adaptation would have turned out.