Oblivion

New or old, like or dislike – discuss them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Rotobunny

Oblivion

Post by Rotobunny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Not sure if anyone else has seen Mr Cruise's latest, but Alan and I saw it on Friday. We both thought it was quite good. Okay, there isn't an explosion every five minutes and it isn't what you would call a fast action movie (one man in the audience fell asleep and started snoring much to the amusement of everyone else), but for those of us who like classic Scifi with a bit of thought behind it it was a good way to pass the afternoon. One of the nice perks of working for yourself in our industry is you get to go to movies on a week day afternoon and call it research ;) The production design is really good and the whole thing is plausible, which is a nice change. The costumes are good, Iceland looks stunning, and the music is not intrusive. I find it hard to extract speech from background noise and music, this makes most films fairly annoying as I seem to miss half the dialogue, but not this time. The story is fairly slight, but personally, I find a slower paced film quite refreshing once in a while, providing it is done well. As always there are a few things to criticise, some of the twists were easily foreseen and some of the characters are a bit cliched. However, given the choice of seeing "Independence Day" or "Oblivion" a second time then I would choose "Oblivion". It probably won't please lots of people who want a fast paced Hollywood blockbuster, but this is a decent movie with good visual effects. There wasn't one sharp intake of breath or muttering about the effects work from Alan during the film, which must be a first :lol:

Maybe I'm beginning to show my age, but I liked this movie. I didn't feel exhausted at the end of it, but didn't notice time passing either. A thoughtful piece of work, but it won't be to everyone's taste I'm sure.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: Oblivion

Post by Liz W » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Rotobunny

Thanks for this and for making it spoiler free :D

My best friend and I are going to see it at the end of the month; so I'm looking forward to it even more now :D

Cheers

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Re: Oblivion

Post by David A Harvey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Thank you. This sounds more interesting than I thought it would be.