The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

New or old, like or dislike – discuss them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:47 am

I saw this one last week and I thought it was very good.

Looked good, very well acted throughout (Special mention though to Jennifer Lawrence as the reluctant rebel Katniss, and Donald Sutherland as Mr Urbane Evil personified President Snow.) , and it kept my interest throughout.

It is however a very long film, nearly two-and-a-half hours, and I also found myself wondering if you hadn't seen the previous movie, or read the books, you wouldn't really understand what was going on. (Btw, as far as I can tell - it's been over a year since I've read the books - the film does stay very close to them.) It also has the modern convention of starting straight off and not having the opening credits until the end.

Some spoilers, spoilered JIC.

There were references to the books which were missed out in previous films e.g. in one scene Katniss and Paeta eat dinner and in the background is a figure which I'm pretty sure is an Avox. (I thought it as "a Vox" until I double checked The Hunger Games Wiki http://thehungergames.wikia.com- doh!) But some stuff has been left out, presumably for length, but it hasn't affected the overall film.

Also the love triangle, which is in someways irrelevant, was rather nicely done and gave a feeling of Katniss being genuinely conflicted.

There were also some other nice touches such as Effie Trinket hinting that while she may be shallow, vain and bubble-headed, she may, deep-down, be a nice person.

Oh and talking of shallow; I did enjoy the lift scene. -blush-

End of spoilers.

I am looking forward to 'MockingJay' though I gather that this will be done in two parts. -sigh-
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"