Star Wars: The Force Awakens

New or old, like or dislike – discuss them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Saw it last night, probably one of the last people in this part of the galaxy to do so, but my basic reaction: Wow! :geek:

Random observations, SPOILERS!!!!!!!

I liked the new characters and it was great seeing the old ones back. The comic relief was funny and, thankfully, not overdone. Comment overheard, “I can’t believe they killed off Han Solo!” I couldn’t agree more. Though he died trying to save his son, which is good way for a man to go out. And on the R/L front Harrison Ford was still rocking the Lovable Rouge Routine.

As I said I liked the new characters, a little surprised to find that Fin and Rey were *both* played by British actors. And I was oddly happy to also find out that Rey was played by the great-niece of Arnold “Private Godfrey” Ridley.

Okay if I wanted to nit-pick I good say the plot was basically ‘A New Hope’ with the numbers filed off. And I wonder how much of my enjoyment came from nostalgia. And maybe some of the scenes and sequences went on too long.

However at end . . .

. . . I came out of the cinema grinning from ear-to-ear. :D
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by David A Harvey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Loved it too :D Also a bit of fun to see that the Resistance base wasn't all that far from the cinema we were in.

Rotobunny

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post by Rotobunny » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Alan and I saw it just before Christmas. We both loved it, but I could have done with a box of Kleenex! I can't believe they killed him off (my favourite character), but maybe they were worried about his (the actor's) health. Anyway, we saw it in 3D and thought it worth it. There aren't too many films we say that of. Was it pure nostalgia? Yes, of course. Does it have plot holes? Of course it does, but there are very few films that don't. However, for all that, it was well worth seeing. It was well made and looked good, it had a good pace too. I know Alan complains that yet again there was a big round planet killing weapon, but isn't that the point? Would it still be the Star Wars we all know and love without this in joke? Anyway we are both looking forward to the next two films.
Regards,

Rotobunny.