So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

New ones, old ones, favourite ones; talk about them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Re: So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Post by Spudgun » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:22 pm

It may not be known to many, but I do have a liking for collated books of comic strips. Some are for the story (Charley's War from Battle-Action being a prime example). Others for the artwork (Stories from TV21 being a good example). However. Yesterday I bought the first volume in a collated work, where the story and artwork go so well together. Released earlier this month. I'm currently reading The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Gosh I remember reading that in Look and Learn when I was in primary school.
The one thing I can remember was a panel were having ejected from his fighter the pilot's descent is slowed by balloons rather than a parachute.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm about half way through the first volume. If I come across that panel. I'll let you know.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Recently finished a couple:

Firstly, 'Artemis' by Andy Weir. It's a near future heist caper novel set on the moon-city of Artemis. The heroine is a young woman, Jazz, who is one of those lovable rouge characters. Definitely a law breaker, but she's got her principles. I thought it was a fun read, and as fitting the author of 'The Martian' lots of technical details and obviously a lot of thought has gone into the background of how a lunar city would work. Physically, economically and politically.

Couple of minor quibbles though. While all the the technical details were convincing, I felt there was one major howler - I won't mention it 'cos of spoilers, and another quibble, this time from my better -half, she felt Jazz didn't quite convince as a female character.

But those points aside; I'd recommend it.

The other was . . .
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:59 pm

'The Second Sleep' by Robert Harris, which was recently featured in the Hangman thread.

As mentioned there it's a novel set in the year 1461 (I think) but taking it's date from the Apocalypse. It's not bad, kinda intended as an awful warning at how little resilience there is in our present day society. It's got interesting characters, an interesting background and a story which was intriguing, and then . . .

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING:

Mudslides, everyone dies.

END OF SPOILERS

. . . also, unless I missed something, the reason why people have first and second sleeps is never explained.

My two-pennyworth of JIMHO: not bad, but disappointing.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"