The Witches of Echo Park by Amber Benson

New ones, old ones, favourite ones; talk about them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

The Witches of Echo Park by Amber Benson

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Yep, for ‘Buffy: The Vampire Slayer’ fans, that Amber Benson.

She has apparently quite a few novels under her belt, both in collaboration with other author and as solo efforts. I was vaguely aware she was writing, but this was the first of hers I’ve actually read.

And it’s . . . not bad.

The story concerns a young woman who returns home to her Great-aunt’s home in the present day Los Angeles suburb of Echo Park. (Apparently this Amber Benson real-life home neighborhood.) There she finds she has a destiny as a member of a coven, which is where we get the books title from.

Positive points: it’s got a nice sense of location, interesting characters, interesting background to the magical goings on and overall it’s nice small scale addition to the genre of urban-fantasy.

Negative points: pace can be a bit slow – too many descriptions which don’t really add anything – and occasionally I got the feeling there was a touch of the Mills & Boon about the story. There is also IMHO overlong, over detailed and overly turgid sex scene. Okay, technically the scene is relevant to the plot SPOILER it’s the ritual mating of a newly joined witch with the Horned God END SPOILER but IMHO it went on waaaay to long. And the book was the first part of a saga and not a story in itself.

But ultimately it met the acid test of any book, I kept turning the page to see what happened next.

Would I buy more by Ms Benson? Yes, but I won’t be rushing out in a hurry though.

She has also written another urban fantasy series, Death’s Daughter, featuring one Calliope Reaper-Jones . . .

And that’s my two pennyworth of JIMHO about ‘The Witches of Echo Park.’
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"