So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

New ones, old ones, favourite ones; talk about them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

David A Harvey
Site Admin

So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Post by David A Harvey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Inspired by (its so much nicer than saying stolen from) the thread of the same(ish) name on the Discworld stamps forum...

A place for us to recommend (or warn about), comment on, and discuss, what we've been reading.
As usual please try to avoid spoilers or at least use the Font colour option to give people a chance eg: OMG Tiny Tim dies!

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Re: So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Post by David A Harvey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:52 pm

So to get us started:
I've been having a bit of a free ebook binge;
I've been reading (amongst others):
  • -(a translation of) Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Its a bit slow to start but certainly had its moments and kept me going all the way to the end.
    -Second Variety by Philip K Dick (I'd just watched Screamers)
    a number of Harry Harrison short stories including The Misplaced Battleship (which it turns out I've read before but in an extended form called The Stainless Steel Rat)
and I'm a little way into
  • -Treasure Island
    -a number of alternative Sherlock Holmes stories courtesy of http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/sherlock/ I've particularly enjoyed "The Spy's Retirement" by Jon Courtenay Grimwood, and Kim Newman's "A Shambles in Belgravia"
    -and I've just found my paperback of "Dark side of the Sun" by Terry Pratchett which I have read before but can't remember anything about. So far its a marvellous parody of Dune and Foundation.
What about you?

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

In recent weeks, I have been reading:

Charley's War (Volume VII).
Darkie's Mob
Hitchcocks 2012 Royal Enfield catalogue!
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi all

I currently have 3 books on the go!

The first is 'Northern Lights', the first of Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. This is a re-read, as I read all 3 a couple of years ago.
If you haven't read them, I would definatley recommend them.

The 2nd of my 'at home' books is the first of the Star Trek Titan series, Taking Wing.
This series follows the adventures of Captain Riker and his crew on the USS Titan.

I have to say I am really enjoying this; in the follow up to Nemesis, seeing the crew of the Titan leading a task force into the political mess that is left of the Romulan Empire!

My 'read at lunch time at work book' is Eldest; the second of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.
I brought the first 3 of these books (as they were on 3 for 2 offer at a well known book shop!)
I had never read any of his books before and I was taking a bit of a risk; but I am very glad I did, as I am enjoying them immensely.

If you like well written Fantasy, with believable characters and a good plot; then I would recommend this series strongly!

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Liz W wrote:The first is 'Northern Lights', the first of Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. This is a re-read, as I read all 3 a couple of years ago.
If you haven't read them, I would definatley recommend them.
Recommendation seconded - I must reread this trilogy too. One of the best.
Its a shame that the 2nd and 3rd books won't be filmed. If you haven't read it, don't be mislead by the uninformed hype that it is an anti-Christian tract.
Liz W wrote:My 'read at lunch time at work book' is Eldest; the second of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.
I brought the first 3 of these books (as they were on 3 for 2 offer at a well known book shop!)
I had never read any of his books before and I was taking a bit of a risk; but I am very glad I did, as I am enjoying them immensely.

If you like well written Fantasy, with believable characters and a good plot; then I would recommend this series strongly!
Thanks Liz, this is the series that starts with Eragon. Mum has a copy, I shall have to ask to borrow it :D

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi

Yes, the first book in the Inheritance Cycle is indeed Eragon :-)

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Currently got three on the go, in various stages:

"The Reavers" by George MacDonald Fraser. It's a comic romp/spoof set among the border reivers in Elizabeth the First's reign. Sadly it was GMF's last book and also sadly, IMHO, not his best. It does have its moments, but overall I'm finding it a bit of a trudge to get through.

Also "Nemesis" by Lindsey Davis, the most recent of her ancient Roman detective stories. It has its darker moments, but overall it's very enjoyable and manages to have characters which are familiar without being stale.

And finally "Side Jobs: Short Stories from The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. Which is pretty much what it says on the tin, very enjoyable tales from a very enjoyable urban fantasy series. Like Lindsey Davis, Jim Butcher has maintained a long running series and still kept it fresh. (As an aside, the short lived TV series based on the books is, IMHO, well worth checking out.)

And that's my two pennyworth added to the thread.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I've just finished a bit of a Harry Harrison binge and moved onto The Atrocity Archive by Charlie Stross.
I'm only a few chapters in and the laugh out loud count is into double figures - I can see why this secret British government department fights Cthulhu series has been regularly recommended "Tinker Tailor Soldier... aargh tentacles"

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Currently have two on the go:

"Ghost Story" by Jim Butcher, the latest installment in "The Dresden Files" and, so far, a very enjoyable read.

And also "Crash Deuxe" by Marianne De Pierres, it's a cyberpunk adventure set in a dystopian Australia. It's not bad. Btw, the heroine's name is Parrish Plessis - trying saying that when you've had a few!
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:37 am

I'm still reading rather a lot of Charlie Stross, I couldn't get away from the Laundry Series until I'd pretty much devoured all of them so far - the series staying fresh with each episode written in the style of a different spy fiction author. Now I'm onto the short stories and back into more sf ish territory.
If you want to try some for yourself there is a good selection online
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-st ... -stro.html

I've also found time to read Jasper Fforde's The Last Dragon Slayer - it is a childrens book but well written and jolly good fun. The sequel "Song of the Quarkbeast" has been moved to the top of the "to be read in the very near future" pile.