So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

New ones, old ones, favourite ones; talk about them here!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Re: So which book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Post by Spudgun » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Just bought myself an all new graphic novel. Apparently, it's the first of a series (If it sells well eonugh). It's Space:1999 Aftershock & Awe. Being the first in the series, it starts off (an expands upon) the episode Breakaway.

Hmmmmmm. Nice.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:30 am

I've just finished reading "I, Phone" by David Wake which I picked from him at Redemption back in February.
In the not too distant future, Alice Wooster’s speed-dating goes so disastrously wrong that she ends up framed for murder. On the run from the police, a mysterious cult of magic users and intelligent spam, the situation looks desperate.

Her only hope to save herself, clear her name and buy more clothes lies with her trusty friend and ally: the obsolete, second-hand phone in an unfashionable colour that framed her in the first place.

I, Phone, tells its own story, the first person viewpoint of ‘Jeeves’, an artificially intelligent phone.
http://www.davidwake.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
I rather enjoyed this sf comedy which, from the well conceived and maintained outsiders point of view of Jeeves (Alice's phone and electronic factotum), explores the rich and entertaining theme of technology allowing one to edit how one sees the world and how the world sees us, as he does his best to help in circumstances which rapidly spiral out of the ordinary.

As you can see from the blurb it is a fairly light hearted book but not afraid to successfully move into darker and more serious territory when necessary. Although definitely having a voice of its own, it does put me in mind of Ben Elton's sf comedies such as Stark and This Other Eden so if you like them I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

If you fancy giving it a go, and I hope you will, here's a link to the first 50 pages
https://www.smashwords.com/extreader/re ... /1/i-phone

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 am

I've been rereading Old Man's War by John Scalzi and its first follow up The Ghost Brigades - both top quality (military) sf. The critics favourable comparisons to Starship Troopers and The Forever War are well deserved.

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:25 am

Just finished George RR Martin's 'A Storm of Swords. Part One: Steel and Snow' aka book three of 'A Song of Ice and Fire.' It's a darn good read, interesting, and ambivalent characters and an intriguing plot - in every sense of the word. But by gawd it has its grim moments!

Currently re-reading 'Mindstar Rising' by Peter F. Hamilton. It's a cracking cyberpunk-ish SF thriller, and coincidentally it's set in Lincolnshire which is my part of the world.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 am

I've just finished all the 'Song of Fire and Ice' books released to date.
I had trouble putting them down and moved from one to the next!!

They are brilliant books; however, as Geoffrey said, they do have their grim sides!

My current reading is 'Fly by Night', by one of our ArmadaCon guests this year, Frances Hardinge.
It is a childrens book; but the world Frances has created is one I'm finding fasinating.
Also, it took me a little while, but I am now really getting attached to the heroine (a little girl called Mosca) and her pet goose Saracen

I would reccomend :D

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Finished 'Mindstar Rising,' it was a cracking good read, although once I found myself thinking, "Someone here hasn't read the Evil Overlord's list." :)

Currently have two on the go, 'Monster Hunter International' by Larry Correiga. Not great literature, but it's an awful lot of fun - two-fisted monster fighting at its finest. :D

The other is 'Fly by Night' and like Liz I am finding it facsinating. It reminds of Terry Pratchett, 'Gormenghast' and a little of Mary Gentle's 'Rats & Gargoyles.' I'm not saying it's a rip-off of any of those, but those are the assocations reading it conjures up. It also has its darker moments with a lot of politics and power plays, but it has its fun side as well and Frances Hardinger has a very nice turn of phrase.

Fav quote (so far): "I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:52 am

Just finished 'Twilight Robbery' (aka 'Fly Trap') by Frances Hardinge. Great read, lots of twists and turns, and very clever. Okay I have a couple of (minor-ish) reservations about it, but overall I'd highly recommend it.

Currently have two on the go. One is 'Empire of the Dead' by David Wake, and it's a lot of fun; Zeppelins, Galvanic Zombies et al. That said there are a couple of occasions where the tone swings to the very dark, and I don't think the book handles it that well. But so far I'm still turning the page to find out what happens next, and I now know why in the USA a torch is called a flashlight.

The other one is 'Loose Cannon' by David Drake, a combination of two sci-fi-ish techno-thrillers he wrote back in the eighties. So far it's a workman like thriller peppered with anecdotes which seem to have come from real-life research. The author has gone on record as saying the protagonist is basically him; but on a really bad day . . .

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:27 am

Well after finishing 'Fly by Night'; I have just read the whole of the Thursday Next series by former ArmadaCon guest Jasper Fforde.
I don't yet have the final book in the series, to date, 'The Woman Who Died a Lot'; so I still have more Fforde madness to enjoy :D

My new book for reading in work is one that I was given for Christmas and am very much looking forward to getting stuck into.
It is 'Poirot and me' by David Suchet. An account of the 25 years (on and off) he has spend playing this most iconic of roles!

My at home book is again by a former ArmadaCon guest, David Wake; I too am reading 'I, Phone' :D

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:35 am

Well I've finished 'Empire of the Dead' by David Wake, and I enjoyed it, but the reservations I had at the start continued throughout it. Sometimes it felt as if I was reading a spoof/jolly-hockey sticks romp, and at other times it swung to something darker and grittier, and the book didn't seem to handle the swings very well. Also some reservations about the technical side of story, very nicely researched in some ways e.g. I now know why in the USA a torch is called flashlight, yet at other times I'm thinking, "That doesn't seem right . . ." But it kept me reading right up to the end, and it was very cool that David Wake dedicated the book to Armadacon.

Also finished 'Skyripper' by David Drake; it started out as a workman like technothriller, and it ended as a workman like technothriller. Enjoyable, but very grim in parts.

Currently got two on the go. Another David Drake 'The Road of Danger.' Its one of his later works and part of the RCN Space Opera series, it's a good read, and much less grim than 'Skyripper.' Which isn't to say it isn't completely free of its darker moments. Very minor spoiler: One of the heroes kicking someone in the face is described as, "It sounded like a maul hitting a watermelon" -ick-

The other one is a young adult fantasy 'The Finisher' by David Baldacci. It concerns a teenager, who works as a finisher (i.e. applying the final polish to things) in a village which believes itself to the only one in the world and who finds out that things aren't what they seem. I picked it up in a super-market (Sleaford's bookshop having gone the way of all flesh. :( ) David Baldacci, not someone I've read before, is better known for his crime thrillers. Hmmmm . . . it's not exactly bad, but it is dragging. While some authors can give the impression of an other worldly society in a few paragraphs, or even a sentence, DB doesn't. And while the use of strange language can build the impression of a world unlike our own, again . . . well calling a pipe (smoking) a stick bowl, is just confusing and IMHO pointless. Ah well, I'll see how it all pans out.

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I mentioned on another thread that I'd recently finished a book by a former Armadacon guest, Mary Gentle's 'Black Opera.' Well even more recently I've just finished a book by a more recent Armadacon guest, Frances Hardinge's 'Cuckoo Song.'

And I thought it was brilliant. The blurb describes it as a dark and twisted fairy tale and I think that is an apt description. Lots of reflections on change, both personal and societal, the meaning of identity and the nature of family; none of which slows a cracking story for a moment. Highly recommended.