Favourite SciFi music

Music...

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Liz W
Site Admin

Favourite SciFi music

Post by Liz W » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi all

Let's see what discussion this can generate!

What is your favourite piece of music that has been used on sci-fi/fantasy/cult TV, film or radio series?

It could be a theme, overture or just any piece of music that has been used.

I'll start!

For me, it is the overture to Star Trek 6.

I really have no idea what it is about this piece of music; but every time I hear it, I just get completely lost in it!

It is also, in my humble opinion, superbly rounded off by the explosion!
I remember watching the film, once, wearing stereo headphones (probably for the first time) and just being blown away by the sound of the shockwave going past my ears!

What's everyone else's favourite?

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Spudgun

Re: Favourite SciFi music

Post by Spudgun » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

There's no two ways about it. It has to be the title theme to Thunderbirds (That's the 60's TV series and not some shabby 2004 film). Film wise, Battle of Britain and Jaws.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:27 am

Oh such a lot to choose from. So I'll duck out from naming a favourite and just point out a few which are in contention.

Brazil from the Gilliam film
Theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Theme from Escape From New York and Halloween amongst others by John Carpenter
Theme from The Long Good Friday
The music from Hellraiser as reused in Old Harry's Game.
Bladerunner

To get the digression in early did anyone else hear (Radio 5 and Radio 3) and see (red button extra on freeview) the Best Film Scores concerts with Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo introducing The BBC Philharmonic. It was a pair of really good concerts.

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 am

Hmmm . . . so many to chose from.

TV: Theme from "Blake's Seven," majestic and stirring.

Close second: "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer," short, sweet and extremely energetic.

Honourable mention: Theme from "Doctor Who." I like all versions, but the Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee versions will always invoke happy memories of Saturday afternoons after Grandstand. :)

Movies: Not sure, I did like the classical music used in the Aliens movies (can't recall the name off the top of my head) and I will always have a soft spot for the theme from the movie "Stargate."
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Ros Day

Post by Ros Day » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Don't watch that many movies, but loved the music to the first two Terminator movies.

I know most people wouldn't agree but I like the theme song for the Enterprise series. Also liked the series although I suspect I may be in a minority of one on both counts.

Ros

kerry3e

Post by kerry3e » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 am

All

I've not been here in a while...problems logging in.....anyway to topic in hand! Sfi music...mmm...'Where do I begin!!'....Sorry wrong type of music, theme.

As Liz says Star Trek VI which would have to be listed in my top ten films of all time...however I prefer Goldsmith to Eldeman and I am trying to plan what CD's to take with me when I go into hospital. I'll be in for a week, so I'm wondering whether ten CD's will be enough or a few more but Star Trek VI soundtrack will not be one of them...but Trek's V and IX will be! Trek V because of it's relaxing quality and Trek IX 'First Contact' because the music to me says 'Family/Belonging!!' Now, there is, one here whom says of Space 1999 yr two there is only one good thing...'it's ending' and there are those who apply such thoughts to the Star Trek V!! BUT what I find so annoying in some is the inability to see something as the sum of it's parts, and those parts can stand on their own merit..Trek V's as a film does leave you wanting but it's music is another matter! However of all the Goodwin famous war scores he mentions it has to be Battle of Britian over 'Broadsword calling Danny Boy'..Eagles Dare and 633 Squadron!

So in my list so far in no particular order
1/StarTrek V (Jerry Goldsmith)
2/Star Trek First Contact (Jerry Goldsmith)
3/Bladerunner (Vangellis)
4/Dune (Toto)
5/The Right Stuff/North and South (Tom Conti)
6/ For your Eyes Only (Tom Conti)
7/ Space 1999 yrI (Barry Gray)
8a/Thunderbirds Vol I (Barry Gray)
8b/Thunderbirds Vol 2 (Barry Gray)
9/The Untouchables (Ennio Morricone)
10/ The Mission (Ennio Morricone)
11/ Master and Commander (Historical Various)

extra five(Maybe)

11/Babylon V Vol 2 Voices of Authority (Christopher Franke)
12/Day the Earth Stood Still (Bernard Herman)
13/Star Trek TNG Best of Both Worlds (Dennis McCarthy)
14/ UFO (Barry Gray)
15/????????????????????

Not Sf-fi...but cult, I've decided against Omen III: The Final Contact..even though 'the hunt' is brillent..and definatly not Sf-fi but in my music collection what will not be going is 'Coma'...both musical soundtracks by Gerry Goldsmith!

If however music is the Soundtrack of ones life...then three tunes at my departing would feature the main theme of The Day the Earth Stood Still, M*A*S*H, theme to UFO.

Always
Kerry3e

kerry3e

Post by kerry3e » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:33 pm

While on the subject of Jerry Goldsmith...does anyone have the soundtrack to Caprocorn One? I ask as supposely one of the tracks is accompanied by the vocal dialog of the American President as we watch a fictional landing on Mars...can anyone confirm?

Always
Kerry3e