Photobucket Rant!

Want to get something off your chest? Then do so here!
Please, no personal attacks

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Photobucket Rant!

Post by Spudgun » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:39 am

If you're like me (A Photobucket user), you may have noticed that photographs have been vanishing from Posts, only to be replaced with this:

Yup. Photobucket has decided that it's losing money from 3rd party hosting, so they've decided to hold the photo's to ransom. They want $400 a year!

Photobucket makes its money through advertising. However, they've twigged that many people use ad-blockers. They've also twigged that most people use Photobucket for 3rd party hosting (Thus no exposure to adverts). As you would expect. Photobucket is losing money by the bucket load. In order to get some of the money back. They've targeted the easiest option: The 3rd party hosters.

Nobody minds paying a reasonable fee, but $400 a year? Go to hell Photobucket!
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Spudgun

Re: Photobucket Rant!

Post by Spudgun » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:13 pm

There are those on the interweb who have found a way around Photobuckets blackmail (No, it wasn't Dave Anderson). Here's the proof. A picture from my Photobucket account:

What's the secret, I hear you ask? At the end of the link, just after the .jpg. Add ~original. So if you're linking a picture called Armadacon.jpg. It'll be altered to Armadacon.jpg~original. You'll have to do this manually for each picture you Post.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for the tip :D

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Well. Photobucket has latched onto the work-around. Back to the drawing board folks.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:12 am

I've been looking for alternatives too and found that, so far at least, this bunch seem reasonable:
http://postimages.org/
I'll sing out if I find any snags...

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 pm

I'd forgotten about this thread. The ~original wheeze works again. Here's the proof.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm

More Photobucket ranting!

Although they've lowered their prices. They've started to 'muck up' the photo's. The 'watermark' (As seen above) is well known. Now they've started to blur the pictures. Thankfully, I've not been effected yet (I've stopped using them). I've yet to figure out Photobuckets buisness model. Is it: Hold your customers to ransom, or drive them away?

Idiots!