Aer some people stupid?

Want to get something off your chest? Then do so here!
Please, no personal attacks

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Aer some people stupid?

Post by Spudgun » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I used to restore motorbikes. There's nothing more satisfying than buying a heap of junk and getting it roadworthy again. Now, I've never owned a trailer and none of the cars I've ever had were ever fitted with towbars. However, I always managed to get the bikes delivered. I now fast forward 20 years......

I've been looking for another bike to do up. Not a restoration, just saving a pile of junk from the scrapyard. After months of looking, I found one. It's in Yeovil. As I've mentioned earlier, I don't have a trailer. Nor do I have a towbar. This means I have to use a 'man with a van'. I contacted the vendor to see if I could use a 'man with a van' as I couldn't collect the bike in person. "Yes" was the reply. I then contact a 'man with a van' and ask for a quote. The quote comes back the next day. So far, so good.

The advert for the bike says "Cash on collection". This is perfectly normal. However, my current bike was paid for (over the phone) by Debit card. The last bike I sold was paid for by direct Bank transfer. You would think that 'Cash on Collection' was more of a desired option than anything else. I go back to the vendor and tell him I have a 'man with a van' on standby and ask if I could pay with a different option (Bank transfer for example). The reply comes back; "Man with a van OK. Cash on collection".

Dear JERK. How can I give you 'cash on collection' if I'm using a 'man with a van'? The only reason I'm using a 'man with a van' is that I CAN'T come to COLLECT the bike. Your unwillingness to be flexible has just LOST you a sale. Idiot!
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Ros Day

Re: Aer some people stupid?

Post by Ros Day » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 am

Possibly suggests there was something not quite legit about the bike or its origins. You are probably better off losing the bike than being had up for receiving ;)

Ros

Spudgun

Re: Are some people stupid?

Post by Spudgun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Oh the bike was legit alright. It was a motorcycle shop that was selling it. Some shops put their unwanted part-exchanges on Ebay just to get rid of them (The shop local to me does it). My guess is the bike was being sold 'off the books'. Anyhoo.....

I spotted another bike. Contacted the owner with the same questions as before. He came back: Man with a van OK. Cash on collection only.

When will these idiots drag themselves into the 21st Century?
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!