RIP Harlan Ellison

A place to chat about anything else, not already covered!
It might be advisable to avoid religion & politics though!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

RIP Harlan Ellison

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:01 am

Harlan Ellison has passed away aged 84. He was considered a giant the field. One of the founding figures in what became known as the new wave of SF. I will admit I have only read a couple of shrot stories of his, but I liked them a lot.

He was a controversial figure though. I was at Con a number of years back where he was a guest. Great guest, wonderful racontuer. He told an incredibly funny story about him facing off four mafia hit-men with Remington XP-100 and a wearing only a towel . . . he then went on to tell a story about a feud he had with a magazine publisher who put ad-cards for cigarettes in a magazine Harlan Ellison had a story in. This feud involved Harlan posting roadkill to the magazine's offices and hiring a heavy to put the frighteners on the guy. . . . and it was clear Harlan didn't (or couldn't) see that his actions went waaay beyond what was acceptable.

In the 'Importance of Guests' thread, I mentioned Sharyn McCrumb's detective story 'Bimbos of the Death Sun.' Now as you might gather the fictional, and not particularly nice, Appin Dungannon, is pretty much a charicature of Harlan Ellison. Apparently Sharyn McCrumb was attending a mystery writers convention along with Harlan Ellison. She was, given Mr Ellison's reputation, a little nervous about this. She then found she was sitting next to him at the dinner table. AppaRently he told her that he really liked the book.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"