Armadacon 25th Anniversary Fan Film

The place for 'the powers that be' to post information and for you to pass information or ideas to them!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: Armadacon 25th Anniversary Fan Film

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Rotobunny,

Yep, thinking about it Alan had mentioned on the sketches that some of the designs were dual air/spacecraft.

Yeah, I too did think that Dr Bob's ending was nice, however I can see how a more dramatic ending would give a bit more punch.

Good luck with the feet. :)
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Well Alan and I are miffed. We thought we had come up with something that Hollywood hadn't done in a film, but no. If you watch the trailer for Elysium you will see a giant space habitat, for those that want to know it looks similar to a Stanford Torus, although the huge mirror is missing as far as I can see. We decided to do a giant space habitat in the fan film over a year ago if the story would allow it, and thanks to Dr Bob it does. I suppose when our film comes out people will think we copied Hollywood, but this just isn't true. I am beginning to think there was a spy in the pub when we were discussing the fan film. I guess now we can't use a Stanford Torus and will have to either have a Bernal Sphere, or an O'Neil Cylinder, just to look a bit different. It is a bit annoying as a Stanford Torus does look very nice and is a probably a bit easier to do, which may be why Hollywood chose it. Oh well, we will just have to try to look a bit different I suppose.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:54 pm

I know how you feel. I designed a mechanical orb as a logo for the Armadacon website many years ago (Yeah, I did to it as a 'nod' to Star Trek). However, it looked far too close to a Borg Sphere that turned up on Star Trek: Voyager (A show I didn't watch because it was rubbish). It had to go. Grrrrr.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:04 pm

That's interesting, though it must be irritating for yourselves; well guess it is a case of Great Minds think alike. :)

Anyway a Bernal Sphere, or an O'Neil Cylinder, are going to be extremely eye-catching.

Btw, I did have to google both "Bernal Sphere" and "O'Neil Cylinder" . . . :oops:

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I have just updated the concept art gallery on the film website. Alan has been doing some tests creating a space habitat for the film and suggested I put up some of the images. We are thinking of going with a cylinder shaped habitat at the moment, especially as Matt Damon's new film uses a torus.

My apologies to those who had to look up the various space habitat designs, especially to Geoffrey, I'm afraid my space geek side came out. :geek: A good site to explore is http://www.nss.org/ this is the resulting organisation after the merger of the L5 Society and The National Space Institute some years ago. Lots of great stuff on there if you tunnel through deep enough. Sorry, being all geeky again! :lol:

Living in space has been a dream of mine for almost as long as I can remember, I'm not sure quite why as I didn't read "Rendezvous with Rama" until I was at least eight or nine (or maybe older, I'm not sure when it was written and my copy is in storage). Maybe I saw a film about it when very young. Anyway, I just think it would be fun.

I should be doing more updates to the site again soon, when I do I will let you all know.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Rotobunny - Please don't feel you have to apologise.

This is one enviroment were it is perfectly safe to let your inner geek out to play. :) I mean if you'd said Dyson Sphere I'd have known exactly what you'd meant . . . ;)

Concept art looks great btw.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:38 pm

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention, but the website has been updated. It now has test footage!

If I may pass comment. Visuals OK. Sound need sorting (bit I expect you already know that).

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:34 am

Just a 'heads up' folks. The website has been updated. There's lots of new images.

Speaking as a person who's involved in the film, there's lots of activety going on behind the scenes. Making films at this level is certainly an eye opener.

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I was going to announce that I had updated the website, but I was beaten to it :lol:. Just goes to show you have to be an early riser these days, which being an "owl" I'm not. I got the changes done last night just before packing up for the day. Well, being called to get the evening meal :) . I didn't have time to do the announcement then, but many thanks to Spudgun for doing this for me.

If you have been exploring the site you will see I have updated the news page, added a new page in film development with a gallery of new images (this replaces the other gallery that I have taken down), and, last but definitely not least, I have added a recruitment page. Hope you all like the poster! We took a whole load of photos back in May when doing the test filming, after much consultation a small number were chosen and then Alan played around a bit with various different elements and produced the poster. Personally, I think the poster is great, but I'm probably biased being married to the designer :lol:.

Anyway, I think that is all the news I have for the moment. We both hope the Steampunk Tea in Plymouth goes well in spite of the wonderful summer weather, had we been closer we would have been there in person.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Due to circumstances beyond our control; the ArmadaCon 25 committee, with deep regret, have to announce the postponement of the filming of the Fan Film.
The hope is that this will be a postponement of one year and that the filming will take place at ArmadaCon 26

Below is a message from Alan & Linda, themselves; regarding the postponement

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armadacon Fan Film Announcement

It is with deep regret that Alan and Linda Marques have to announce the postponement of the filming of the fan film until Armadacon 26. Alan has been very ill over the past few months and this has resulted in several admissions to hospital, both locally on the island and on the mainland. He recently had an operation, but then suffered severe complications which led to him being admitted to hospital again. Due to these ongoing health issues the necessary preparation for filming this year has not been done and we have made the painful decision to postpone this until next year. Indeed, we are not even sure if Alan will be well enough to attend this year's convention. We know it is a special year and it would be very sad for us to miss it, but it all depends on his health and ability to travel. Please be assured that we are committed to making the film and want it to be of the highest standard possible. We felt this could not be achieved by rushing preparations and continuing with the filming this year, assuming Alan is well enough. The Committee have been kept informed at all times and we would both like to thank them for their continued support and understanding, this has been greatly appreciated over this difficult time. We know this is very disappointing, we had been really looking forward to getting on with the film, but fate has stepped in and put paid to that. We hope you will understand our reasons for postponing and will still be willing to participate next year.

Alan & Linda Marques
4th October 2013.
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com