Armadacon of the Minds Eye.

ArmadaCons yet to come!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Armadacon of the Minds Eye.

Post by Spudgun » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:10 pm

These are very much my thoughts, as regards the discussion that occurred after the Closing Ceremony at Con 29.

The 'regulars' are getting old. Armadacon is more of a social club to the likes of us. As Gary said. We need young blood in order to continue. Us old farts are comfortable with the way things are. However. In order to attract younger blood. A few changes are needed.

One thing that Gary mentioned is putting up the price of the day ticket. This is all very well, but something more needs to be offered in order to justify the price increase. Traditionally, the Charity Auction has been open to all. However. How many of the day ticket holders know this? I don't think it's unreasonable to add access to the Masquerade as well. It worked this year (I think the Anime entry was more Press Ganged than anything else). Plus, it's not costing the Con any extra.

Workshops and Panels were mentioned. Considering that Anime and gaming seems to be popular with a younger audience. Guests that work in that arena may be a draw. Subject matter could include: Basic game creating (I actually suggested something CCG related on the board that was used for suggestions). There are those who want to make their own costumes, but have no idea where or how to start (Even I can't use a sewing machine). Even Kerry and myself bitch like hell about how to make a costume (What materials to use and suchlike).

Interactive panels were mentioned. Armadacon has had interactive panels before (The late Richard Bonehill was very popular). However. Interactive panels are hard to pull off. The motion capture demo that Alan Marques did a few years ago to a fair chunk of equipment and preparation to pull off (As with Richard's collection of weaponry). This leaves us with a bit of a problem. What would appeal to a younger audience and how simple can you keep it? I have no idea.

It was universally accepted that younger blood is need, if Armadacon is to continue. I think it's up to all of us old farts to help out.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!