That Was Armadacon 2018 That Was.

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

That Was Armadacon 2018 That Was.

Post by Spudgun » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 am

Once again. Another Con that was enjoyable for all.

For the 2nd year running. We had 1 hour Panels. These worked well. Long may they continue. The Turkey Readings got its 90 minute time slot back. Hooray! Overall. I don't think that thre was any problems with the programming. Having said that....

There was a bit of a 'Chain of Command' foul-up. Last year. I was asked to produce a 5 minute video for the Opening Ceremony and a 20 minute video for the interval between the Masquerade and the Results. Dave Trace told the Committee about the first video, but not the second (It was Dave who asked me to produce them). Due to this ommission, somebody else was asked to produce something for the interval. This person didn't produce. This left Sammy in the lurch. It wasn't until shortly before the Masquearde that I mentioned that I had been asked to provide a video. So, all's well that ends well. On the one hand. Everything should go through the Committee. On the other hand. We really need to know who is on the Committe in the first place. I didn't know that Dave Trace wasn't on the Committee at the time. Thankfully. Nobody has asked me to produce anything for next year......... Yet.

The Hotel wasn't without its problems. Please excuse me while I have a bit of a rant. The lighting in the main room was awful! Although digital camcorders work well in low light. The footage I have is still not good. I have compared footage from the past couple of Con's and the lighting is getting progressivly worse. Although I can lighten the footage. The colours will begin to 'wash out'. The lighting levels need to be addressed!

There was an incident on the Friday evening that had me bemused. For those that do not know (Unlikely, I know), I vape. Vaping is perfectly Legal in a Hotel. I was sat with Kevin at the time, when the duty receptionist came over and told that I had to vape outside as the smoke detectors were sensitive. I replied that were no signs around stating this (The No Smoking signs were visable), but she was having none of it. I played along for the sake of the Con. Then I continued to vape out of here way and for the rest of the Con everywhere. Now (Having talked to Kevin about the incident), we could've gone Legal on here ass. Although some establishments do have a no vaping policy. It is always stated. No such stated policy exists at the Hotel. It's interesting to note. I vaped everywhere else in the Hotel and nothing was said by the Staff from Saturday onwards. Interesting that.

As a side note (I'm still on my high horse here). It's Legal to smoke in a Hotel room as it's a registered domacile. In the rooms, there is a notice that says (to the effect of): If evidence of smoking is found. You'll be subject to a clean up charge of X amount. That notice was missing from my room.

Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said.

The Auction continues to surprise. How we manage to break the £1000 barrier is staggering. We live in interesting times. Yet we still fork out cash. Mind you. I would've thought that a 'bucket' would be a de-facto stand-by item by now. Oh. We need more cuddly toys. They seem to fetch the most money.

I enjoyed it. I hope you did too. I've already signed up for next year. Have you?
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

lordashram

Re: That Was Armadacon 2018 That Was.

Post by lordashram » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

My turn

The lighting in the main room was awful, my candles gave of more light than the bulbs in there.
Also most of the doors into the dealers room were broken, some of the dealers were worried about there stock.
And the key card system needs a major overhaul, I went through 4 bfore finding one that worked for rest of the con.

I found no problem with the convention itself, heck I had a blast (sorry Barry) at the auction with the minion.
50 items of good quality worked better that some of the previous auctions.
Also making the auction earlier worked better.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Spudgun

Re: That Was Armadacon 2018 That Was.

Post by Spudgun » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Yeah. The Auction was a right heap of fun! It would've taken a fair bit of pyro to destroy that minion though. Moving swiftly along......

Did anyone else have problems connecting to the Wi-fi? My laptop flatly refused all weekend. It works OK at home (This is being Posted on my laptop, via WI-fi). I'm prepared to accept that I was using out of date drivers at the Hotel. I've installed the latest ones today.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!