RNIB

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Liz W
Site Admin

RNIB

Post by Liz W » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi all

Yesterday, we had a meeting with Sharon Woodhams, from the RNIB.

Firstly, we handed over a cheque for £1500; for monies raised from ArmadaCon 22.
She was truly astonished at the amount of money that we have raised and she asked us to pass on her thanks to everyone for their continued amazing generosity.

We also received the second book, from the monies that were raised from ArmadaCon 21.
The book that was chosen for us, by the RNIB, was 'The Shape of Things to Come' by HG Wells.

On behalf of the committee, I would like to echo Sharon's sentiments and thank everyone for their generosity, during these difficult financial times.

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: RNIB

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm

That's good. Thanks for posting it.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Magnificent :D

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: RNIB - ArmadaCon 23

Post by Liz W » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi all

The total amount that we raised for the RNIB, at ArmadaCon 23, has been calculated.
I am very proud to, once again, be able to say that we have raised £1500 for Talking Books.

On behalf of the entire committee and the RNIB, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone for raising such a stupendous amount.
With the financial situation as it is, it is a testament to you all that we can make that amount of money.

We plan to meet up with Sharon, as soon as is possible, to hand a cheque over.

Once again, thank you all

Hugs

Liz

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 pm

CRIKEY!!! That's amazing.

Sharon will burst into tears!
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Barry

I could not have put it better myself :lol:
Seriously though, you are absolutely right; it is amazing

I don't know if Sharon has been informed yet, but I expect you are right; I think she will cry

Hugs

Liz

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 pm

That is good news Liz. :D
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:53 am

Hi all

Yesterday, a number of us met up with Sharon from the RNIB; to hand over a cheque for £1500.
She was, once again, blown away and has asked us to pass on her deepest thanks for everyone's continued amazing generosity.

Whilst we were there, Sharon gave us options as to how the money we raise can be used.
Let me explain!

Talking Books cost £1000 therefore, due to everyone's generosity, we have additional monies.

An option that Sharon gave us was to sponsor a large (or giant) print book; this would likely be one for a child. These cost £500, which would use the remaining monies perfectly.

This way we could continue our long and fruitful association with the Talking Books service.
However, we could also support another area of the RNIB and help other, partially sighted, people.
It would also mean we would be able to help children as well as adults; as Sharon tells us that it is predominately adults that use the Talking Books service.

I believe it is fair to say that we would consider the Talking Book service our primary area for sponsorship; with the additional area only being done if we have enough raised to do it.

Does anyone have any major objections to this idea? as it is not yet set in stone.
I would be very to grateful to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

Hugs

Liz

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Here's my thoughts.

We raise money for 'Talking books for the Blind'. We don't raise money for 'Large print books for the partialy sighted'. Nor do we raise money for 'Glasses for people with squitty peepers'. Because this Forum is frequented by such a small percentage of those who attend the Armadacon Charity Auction, I believe it's impossible to gain a fair consensus from those who do frequent. I (therefore) belive that the money should be held over until the next Armadacon Charity Auction, where the assembled audiance should be given the option of what to do with the money. I'd hate to think that we'd be doing something with the money without their input.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi Barry

Thank you for your input.
I will forward your comments to the rest of the committee.

Cheers

Liz