That was Armadacon 25 that was.

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

That was Armadacon 25 that was.

Post by Spudgun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Now I'm back (work has started on the footage), I can pass comment on Con 25.

I enjoyed it. Even though most of us only get to see each other once a year, it was good to see everyone again. The program had more 'collywobbles' than normal. OK, the first thing that gets thrown out is the printed program, the board by the registration desk wasn't updated as regularly as I hoped. This led to some confusion as to what was going on. The £5 limited ticket was a stroke of genius. Plenty of new faces were seen. Long may this continue.

Glad to see Alan and Linda. I think it was to the Fan Films advantage to have the shoot next year. Some of my fears for the film were laid to rest when Alan took photos to make the background plates. Oh, even in Hospital he kept working. I think Linda has given up telling Alan to relax once in a while. Alan, take some TIME OFF!

This isn't a criticism, it's just a personal thought. The Charity Auction lacked 'Frangibles'. I'm stuck for thing to blow up for next years film. Looks like I'll have to put some in the Auction and buy them back.

I like the new Con badge. I felt the old ones were awkward to attach to clothing (I've lost one in the past and bent the pins on others trying to attach the badge to my leather jacket).

It seems the doors at the Hotel need some servicing done. The door to my room (106) wouldn't shut properly at times and i had to close it manually more than once.

I didn't recognise Cliff Beaumont without his goatee beard. Good to see him and Helen back again though.

I did miss the retro gaming. Perhaps it wasn't all that popular and the idea was dropped. I missed the nerfs as well. Rumor has it, it'll be back next year.

There's probably other stuff, but I'll save that if the subject turns up on here.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: That was Armadacon 25 that was.

Post by Liz W » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Barry

Thank you for starting this thread, I was going to ask for feedback

The programme 'collywobbles' were mainly due to the fact that the committee didn't know when or if 2 of our guests were turning up!

Glad you liked the new badges

I'll bring the problems with the hotel up at the washup in a few weeks, thanks

We didn't drop the retro gaming; the guys that did it were with us, they just decided to do board games instead!

Cheers

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Alisaura

Post by Alisaura » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Greetings AramadaConians,

It's Alison here (the Australian... kinda tall, multi-Doctor costume, funny accent), and after having been home for a week, I'm finally getting around to saying a proper Thank You to you all.

Despite Jenny's best efforts to explain the ArmadaCon experience to me (a veteran of three whole other Cons - two of which were the gargantuan DragonCon), I didn't really know what to expect when we arrived on Friday afternoon. Very shortly thereafter I found myself sticking the ends on glowsticks with several other people (one of which turned out to be a guest), complimenting them on their excellent battered Eccleston-style leather jacket, and having a good old chat about all things geeky.

And that basically set the pattern for the whole weekend. And it was brilliant.

On Friday afternoon, I was 80% sure that there was no way on Earth anyone could persuade me to enter the Masquerade - such was the amazingly friendly and supportive atmosphere that by Sunday evening I had not only entered it, but won a prize (thank you again - it was delicious); and even participated in the Turkey Readings, which were everything they were promised to be, and more. I still haven't quite recovered from the Wobblies, or those carbon-eating plants...!

On Friday afternoon, I thought of ArmadaCon as an interesting bonus in my month-long holiday to the UK (and yes, Switzerland for chocolate) - by Sunday evening it was an undisputed highlight, and I absolutely want to come back one day, even if the weather is a lot colder than I'm used to in November. ;) Besides, it was even colder in Scotland and Switzerland!

I only wish I could have split myself in two and seen the videos on Saturday night as well as roleplaying in the dealer room... and I wish I could have seen the Masquerade as well as be in it.

Anyway, the short version: thank you so much for a great experience, I had a wonderful time meeting everyone and seeing the panels, and I would love to do it all again whenever I next find myself in the UK in November. :)

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Alison

Glad you got home safely :D

On behalf of the committee, we are very glad you had a good time :D

No-one can really explain the ArmadaCon experience, you just have to live it!!
Especially the Turkey Readings :lol:

Everything is filmed, so the masquerade, opening & closing ceremonies, turkeys and everything else! is in the process of being put up on YouTube.
Thanks to Barry the first few from this year are already up; you can find links to them in the 'Armadacon Archive' section of this board (the thread is called You Tube Uploads)

I hope we will see you again :D

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Alisaura

Post by Alisaura » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:15 am

I did spot those videos going up, Liz (thank you Barry!) although I'm still plucking up my courage to look at the Masquerade. ;)

I certainly hope to be back! It was well worth the trip.

By the way, Barry - if you'd like something Australian-themed to blow up for the next Con's videos, I'd be happy to post you some toy kangaroos or koalas or suchlike. Let me know and we can work something out. :)

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. I just need an idea to smack me in the face to start with. There's plenty of time as I don't start filming until May. Oh, by the way. You're in the Turkey Readings as well.

Alisaura

Post by Alisaura » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:38 am

I spent the whole afternoon yesterday watching the videos... thanks! Good memories. :)

How about every bad guy whose plans Skippy and/or Blinky Bill have ever foiled seek revenge with extreme prejudice...? ;)

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:02 am

I did dream up a Skippy sketch some years ago. However, it only worked as a 'Radio Play' thing. I can't write it here as it's somewhat adult in nature.

One of the biggest headaches in making the Saturday Evening Video, is having a theme. The early ones (Quick Show and Armadacon TV) were sketch based, so didn't require an actual theme. The later ones (Pyromania Productions) need a theme or the stuff that gets blown up appears arbitrary. Thus far, I've been lucky. I'm currently looking at spoofing Brainac, but I can't get it to work. Budget is another consideration. The Mythbuster video cost £200 to make. Over half of that was spent on the pyro. I wouldn't worry though. There's plenty of time.........