40 years of D&D

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

steve88

40 years of D&D

Post by steve88 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi I would like to offer a talk celebrating D&D. I have every edition and would like to show how it has evolved since 1974. There are two ways I could do this in a 45 min talk. Either go through the history of the game and show the reasons that it has evolved or perhaps in a more archaic way try to pull 6 members out of the audience and play a basic adventure including Showing how to make a character and playing a game in front of the audience as I make it up on the fly using a mixture of rules over the 40 years and seeing the player victims having to roleplaying in front of an audience. Maybe having one of the players as a stool to keep asking to play a Half Orc and criticising my game. Obviously the game on the fly might be more humerous as I try to pull them through an adventure I make up as I go than a dry reading of the history of the game but either way will appreciate any comments.

Spudgun

Re: 40 years of D&D

Post by Spudgun » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Audience participation is always a riot at Armadacon. I've done it myself on a couple of occasions. If I were you (and you only have 45 minutes to do this in), I'd cut the number of participants from 6 to 3. This would allow the 'story' to develop and get further than you would with 6 (More rooms explored. More characters encountered). As for the type of people 'pulled out of the crowd'. I'd go for someone who plays the game on a regular basis, so they know what they're doing. A total noob (to see how fast they can learn the game and adapt). Lastly; A random person to balance the two. Of course, you would be the Dungeon Master.

Just my opinion.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

steve88

Post by steve88 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Good points. Bringing it down to 3 newbie and one experienced player would make it better. Was thinking of playing something like the haunted keep from D&D basic book which is about six rooms or if I was feeling really bad tempered the Tomb of Horrors but will possibly end the final room with a massive red dragon that they could fight if they was feeling suicidal or pay tribute to it they want to talk themselves out of it

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Since we're dealing with the evolution of D&D, I'd lean towards a particular edition per room. So your 'victims' would start of in room 1 with the earliest edition of D&D. As the game progresses, the rules evolve. As Dungeon Master, this would give you the opportunity to explain some of the history of D&D, while the players are stuck (and have to deal with) the changes of the rules (comedy ahoy!). By the time they reach room 6, the experienced player is still alive, while the noob has probably been killed a few times. The random third player just has to take his chances.

steve88

Post by steve88 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Brilliant!! I like it. Glad you commented on that. I can start with them trying to map and finish with dungeon tiles and minitures. Wizards will start of as one spell wonders but by end of game get more powerful .1st edition wooden box needed Chaimail rules to make sense of .2nd edition will remove all references to demons and Devils. 3rd changes completely reversing armour class and making characters more adaptable but harder for a DM to keep control of. 4th turns to completely tabletop game and 5th tries to please everyone that has jumped to Pathfinder. If you can think off any more ways to illustrate rule changes between editions please add them and I will arrange things around. It might be the first time a demon is defeated in D&D by an edition change

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:26 pm

You're getting the idea now. You've only got 45 minutes to tell the history of D&D. As the Dungeon Master, it's your job to tell that story. The experienced player is merely helping you by illustrating the rule changes. The noob is illustrating that the game can be easy to pick up (but often ends up dead). The random player illustrates that the game can be played by anyone. The interaction of all of the players is where the comedy springs from.

Oh. By the way. I've never played before and I've no idea of any of the rules.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:48 am

That sounds really fun and I look forward to hearing it.
If you PM Liz Woodburne "Liz W" on this board who is in charge of programming I'm sure she'll do her level best to see if she can squeeze this in but, with less than a month to go, you may have left it a bit late for this year.

steve88

Post by steve88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:20 am

I think I have already a 45 minute slot booked in on armardacon facebook page a month ago when it was asked if anyone could do a panel but if I havent then I will fit in where I can. I also offered public information films for the video room but again will fit in with everyone's elses plans

steve88

Post by steve88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 am

Have sent a pm to Liz W as I hide behind my DM Screen in embarrassment for thinking facebook is official page for armardacon

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:01 am

Suggest that you get your slot confirmed. There's nothing worse that getting a panel together and then finding out the effort has been for nothing as there isn't a slot.

Mind you. A couple of years ago, I offered a 30 minute panel which was turned down as there wasn't an available slot. I turned up on the Friday and was promptly given a slot on the Sunday. I was totally unprepared!

This was the end result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=algIad77bck