ArmadaCon 26

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Re: ArmadaCon 26

Post by Spudgun » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 pm

UK. Here's a few random thoughts.

Although the Fan Film did cause some disruption (If you were directly involved with it). It's probably the only time that I'll agree (Yeah, I was wrong) that moving the Charity Auction to the Sunday was a good idea. By having it near the end of the Con, ensured that the Fan Film schedule wasn't compromised. Now that the Fan Film is done with (As far as Armadacon 26 is concerned). I'd prefer to see the Auction moved back to the Saturday.

Having tokens for costumes was a good idea. Yeah, it's open to abuse (In which I indulged), but who cares? It's just a bit of fun. More please!

There has to be a way of 'fixing' the door to the Panels. Poor old Kevin.

I kinda missed the morning videos that Pags used to run. OK, Pags has better things to worry about now, but it was a good way to socialize before the Con program started.

Tea Dueling.
This has really taken off! More please!

Dream Catcher Theater.
Although it was agreed between Liz and myself that the Friday night play wouldn't be recorded (As it wasn't part of the 'Family Friendly' image that Armadacon projects). I am receptive to the idea that (if requested) by the Theater to record any future plays and not listing them on the Archive.

I think that'll do for now.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

lordashram

Post by lordashram » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:09 am

Hi All from the Gopher.

Having tokens for costumes was a great idea. Yeah, it's open to abuse :twisted: (Which i used to great effect :twisted: ), but who cares? It's just a bit of fun and more money for charity. :D

I to missed the Morning cartoons, can we have them back :(

Moving the Auction to late Sunday Morning or early afternoon may be better some people leave on Sunday afternoon and missed the auction.
which means we will have more people with more money.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 am

Hi Barry and Kevin

Thank you for your feedback; I have written it down ready for the washup

Cheers :D

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Well I’m now a bit more settled, so here is some more of what I thought about Armadacon26.

The Friday night radio play was a lot of fun, with a lot of in-jokes some of which went over my head, but overall it was very written and very well performed. Shrodingers time machine. –grin- And tweed jackets rule!

I didn’t “enjoy” Dreamcatcher Theatre, though I guess some of it is the sort of thing you’re not supposed to enjoy, but I thought it was very well done and very cleverly done as well. (Okay :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I did enjoy Lilly Thorne’s burlesque turn. :oops: :oops: :oops: ) But a lot of it was very dark, even the comic turns. Definitely not everyone’s cup of tea and definitely for over eighteens only, but overall I’m glad to have seen it.

I liked the idea of the “costume chips” and I was slightly miffed when they seemed to sell out thirty seconds after going on sale, but I was grateful that more emerged later on. It’s a nice way of saying “Like your costume” to people, and it helped raise money for the con charity in an inextortionate (10p a chip) fashion.

For various reasons I missed most of the Turkey readings, and all of the auction and the Tea-duelling, but I gather they went very well.

Armadacon has a tradition of interesting guests and this year was no exception. Andrew Cartmel gave an interesting panel and insights into a rather turbulent period in the history of Doctor Who. He also gave a very nice live audio commentary over ‘Remembrance of the Daleks.’ There was a touch of nostalgia about this, and a feeling that “Darn! That was good! Why aren’t we seeing more of that sort of level of quality these days?” (JIMHO of course.)

Phillip Reeve was an author I hadn’t really heard of before, but he was a great guest and I am having a lot of fun reading ‘Goblins.’ And ‘Mortal Engines‘ is on my reading list.

It was nice seeing returning guests as well. Andy Lane’s been coming back for years and it was nice to see him in the dealer’s room. I did enjoy a brief chat with him where I learned about the alleged existence of a filk-song, “Step away from the Tardis Mr Moffat!” It was also very nice to see Frances “The Hat” Hardinge back, and of course David Wake. (Thank you for the Radio Play btw.)

Talking of the dealer’s room, I thought it was very well attended, and I’m sorry I missed anyone who was only there on the Saturday. I personally liked the American-German snack stall; although I only brought a couple of cans of root beer, they were very welcome indeed.

David Wake gave an interesting panel on writing, with tea & biscuits!!! And it was very nice seeing a couple of the ‘Dream Catchers’ doing the “geography” scene from ‘Empire of the Dead.’ Coming back to the panel as I mentioned it was interesting, and also thought provoking on the subject of writing and how to do it professionally.

Other interesting and informative panels were Gary’s Rosetta panel, and Dr Bob’s “Alien Sex” panel. Thank you both. Torn by the videos on Garty’s panel, the first ESA one was rather pretentious, but very spectacular. (Actually I wonder if ESA should skip space exploration and go into movies instead.) But second one was seriously cute. And the whole panel provided info on an important mission.

Dr Bob’s was also fun and informative. No matter how weird SF is, there is a good chance that real-life is weirder.

I did feel that filming did disrupt the con, but not hugely, and Linda (Rotobunny) has already commented on that. I’m really looking forward to seeing the finished article though.

The Hotel was as good as ever. Okay, it’s not perfect e.g. it is out in the sticks, but they do genuinely seem to want us there and it’s very nice having our own little section.

There was some consternation among some fans when the bar closed at midnight, but hotel stayers could still order from reception so it wasn’t too much of a bug bear.

Which reminds me, fun panel on the history of D&D. Nice seeing quirky panels like that Armadacon.

The Con meal was a nice finish to the event and the food was nice. Slight niggle over the disruption over the seating plan. A little bit of flexibility would be helpful, either on the part of the hotel or the con. Sometimes people, for various reasons, do want to swap around.

Well actually, the con meal wasn’t the finish, there was another radio play to come. I can’t remember who was responsible for this, but it was fun. Thank you. “Do you know how to bore the pants off people? Doctor Who fans do.” :twisted:
(Though to be fair, plenty of other fandoms can do this as well.)

I have already signed yup for Armadacon 27. Which reminds me of one final point, it was very nice to be able to pay by card. But, I gather that this was a “free-trial period” and that if Armadacon wants to continue with card payments a charge will have to be made. :(

Anyway thank once again to everyone who organised, contributed and attended who made Armadacon 26 a really fun experience.

Thank you. :D
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Geoffrey

Thank you very much for the feedback; it is much appreciated :D

The meal is already on the agenda for the washup; so I will mention about if there can be flexibility

About card payments; worry not the iZettles (the units we used) are here to stay!
Yes we had the first X amount of money processed without any transaction charges (I don't know what the amount is)
I believe we now have gone through that; however our treasurer is aware and happy with the charges.

Cheers

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:57 pm

You're welcome Liz.

Oh and a quick PS:

The masquerade was brilliant, a lot of fun entries and none of the them (well, maybe one) went on too long! :)

And the post-masquerade bat-leth fight was suitably visceral. :twisted:
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"