That was the Con 27, that was.

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

That was the Con 27, that was.

Post by Spudgun » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm back home and I can reflect and pass comment on the latest installment of the epic Armadacon.

I enjoyed it. Some things worked better than others. There were somethings that I kinda missed. The Friday evening 'reading of stuff' I enjoyed. It was certainly different. OK, my scribblings aren't the best in the world, but at least they had an audience. It was fun. I've already had an idea for another outing.

I expect that everyone knows about the cock-up on the catering front. I won't go into that as I wasn't directly involved. However, I was directly involved in the cock-up on the breakfast front. I had booked my room on-line. That's 3 nights for the price of 2, with breakfast thrown in. However. I was consistently charged for breakfast each morning. Not being a complete idiot. I had printed out my reservation and took it to the Con. Monday morning I presented to the Reception staff when I checked out. The Reception staff were fully aware of the problem. It was due to a computer error. Dependent on the website that was used to book the room. That websites computer would assign the wrong code to the booking. This is what happened in my case. Once I had handed the staff my printed copy of my booking. The erroneous charges were deleted. I don't know how many other people were effected. Although I'm not a fan of real ale. Running out of the stuff on the Friday is a bit odd. OK, we've 'drunk the place dry' before, but that was on a Saturday evening. Sometimes I get the impression that the Hotel hasn't quite understood what a bunch of nutters we are. This is probably due to the (what appears to be) a high turnover of staff. Other than that, I've absolutely no problem with the Hotel.

I did miss the costume tokens from last year. It's true that some of us abused this idea (me included), but it was just a bit of fun and it did raise a chunk of money for Charity.

The £5 gaming room ticket certainly had the room packed out all weekend. Good stuff!

I noticed that there wasn't an official lunch break on the Sunday. OK, there was a catering cock-up, so it didn't make any difference, but it made things tricky when I had to hand over some footage on my cameras SD card, so my camera was 'out of action' for a panel that directly followed. I'll have to review the situation for next year and carry a spare SD card and record a single event on it (Then I can simply hand over the SD card. Job done).

We are getting older. Having some things that start late in the evening doesn't really work now. Go figure.

Phew. The filming of the fan film is over. I'm still glad I lost the competition. As for the miserable clown? Hmmmm. I've an idea........
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: That was the Con 27, that was.

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:23 pm

And this is my two-peenyworth on Armadacon 27.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

So firstly and most importantly a big thank you to all the committee and all those who made it possible.

The Hotel was fine, the staff seemed friendly enough and it’s always nice to have our own little area. And the bar did stay open later to the joy of some con-goers.

But . . .

Running out of real ale on the *Friday* night? The big delay over food on the Saturday evening?

And while the post-con meal was nice, but I’m not a big fan of the school-canteen style of serving, particularly when it slows to a crawl half-way through. And the quality, well it was not-bad nothing really wrong with it, but decidedly less than exciting.

I thinking that the committee will be giving some feedback to the Hotel.

Anyway back to the con itself.

The Friday night Armadacon Unplugged went down very well.

And I thought that the ‘Dreamcatcher Theatre’ and ‘Circle of Spears’ co-production of ‘The Thing on the Doorstep’ was very good indeed. I did feel more “up” after watching it than after last year’s Grand Guignol. Okay it was a work in progress, but it will slicken up as it goes on, and I think the audience numbers suffered from the late start. But overall it was creepy and well-acted, I particularly like the mind-swap sequence.

The guests overall were a lot of fun.

Liesel Schwarz was very interesting and I am looking forward to a reading ‘A Conspiracy of Alchemists.’

Andrew Lawden was a surprise for me, but he was a great media guest, very funny, very entertaining and with a lot of anecdotes. And no I will never think of Morgan Freeman in the same way again. –g-

Didn’t really get on with Prof. Susan Blackmore’s panel and slipped out early. Okay if I missed a really great panel, that’s my loss, but her opening spiel of “I went to Uni and smoked dope” didn’t really impress.

Adam Hart-Davis was a lot of fun and I will certain try and avoid flying during the Ides of March.

Other staples of the con, well the Masquerade was a lot of fun, though I gather that all this year’s entrants were last minute “volunteers,” so thank you to them for stepping into the breach.

The Readings given were very interesting and I particularly liked Marion Pitman’s story. Btw, I have brought a copy of her anthology, ‘Music in the Bone’ and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

David & Ros’s Parlour Tag; well I thoroughly enjoyed it and everyone else who played it seemed to have fun too. Lots of paranoia and plotting going on. Thank you David & Ros for running it.

Managed to skip out on most of the Auction and the Turkey-readings, but it seemed as if a good time was had by all.

The Dealer’s Room/Gaming Room looked nicely busy whenever I poked my head around the door, and there was some very nice stuff on sale there. I hope all the dealers did well.

And reservations aside it was still nice to relax over the post-con dinner.

And that’s about it.

So thanks once again to the committee and everyone else who made Armadacon possible.

See you all next year.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Barry and Geoffrey

Thank you both for your feedback :D

I have taken it all down ready for the washup

Glad you both enjoyed yourselves :D

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:53 pm

You're welcome Liz, and thanks for your efforts. :D

Btw, any idea of numbers attending?

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Just to let everyone know I have now paid the donation to the Orangutan Foundation UK. I have left it until now as they were taking part in "The Big Give" event this weekend, it means that the donated money is doubled by match funding. It started yesterday at midday and had a second day today, also at midday. I tried to do this yesterday but even though I managed to get through at 12:05, I was too late and that days funding allocation had been used up. So today I was poised at my computer, refreshing the page every few seconds, until I was successful at 12:00. I have done some rounding up of the funds raised at the auction. Including the £10 donation, this means that the Orangutans were allocated £70 and with match funding this has been increased to £140. The money raised for them isn't just used for Orangutans, it will also be used to get another section of rainforest, to save it from being logged and ensure it will be available for the future. I will be doing the payment to Alzheimer's Research UK in the next week or so and will be sending them £200, I am donating £10 myself as £190 seemed an odd sum to send. It is a pity the Alzheimer's charity wasn't taking part in the match funding event too, they would have got £400 if they were. The whole thing reminded me of the episode of "The Big Bang Theory" when the boys try, and fail, to get tickets for Comicon. I will send another update when I have done the donation to Alzheimer's Research. Many thanks to everyone who donated money, it is all going to good causes.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Geoffrey

Apparently it was 107 warm bodies through the door! :D

Cheers

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info Liz. That's a nice little total.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Liz W wrote:Apparently it was 107 warm bodies through the door! :D
Fantastic :D Great to see the promotional work pay off. Lets hope they come back next year and bring friends.
BTW what are the dates for next year?

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 pm

I don't know the exact dates, but November 5th is involved.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:31 am

Spudgun wrote:I don't know the exact dates, but November 5th is involved.
So that would make it 4-7th November. Thank you. :D