That was the Con 28, that was.

ArmadaCons that have been and gone!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

That was the Con 28, that was.

Post by Spudgun » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Firstly, I enjoyed myself. I hope that everyone else did as well. It takes a lot of effort to put a Con together. It takes a lot more to keep it running on the day.

It was good to see. Err. 'Everyone' again. I don't think that the reasons are important, but it was noticed that numbers were down and that a number of the usual suspects were missing. Sometimes, you get a 'perfect storm' and it happens. I've never experienced a 'perfect storm' at Armadacon before, so we were probably over due.

Having the Con badges in the plastic thingy, that you could put a miniature program in (amongst other things) was a great idea. Mind you. I think I'll use a clip next year, instead of a lanyard. I went outside to stretch my legs (It does get a bit stuffy in the Hotel) and I thought I had lost my badge. The wind had took it and it was now hanging over my back.

I can't comment too much on the Guests, as I prefer to watch the Panels when I edit the footage (Work has begun). However, I found them all to be very approachable and friendly when off camera. This years Guests certainly gets two thumbs up from me. I did sit though Dave and Andy's Panels though. Having an interest in writing, I had to. Wouldn't been able to ask the questions otherwise.

The Gaming/Dealers Room was packed out on the Saturday. Adding gaming has certainly been a winner for the Con. It has also brought in a younger audience. Considering that us regulars are going grey (gone grey or haven't got any hair left), some fresh blood has added new life to the Con. It's just a pity that the Anime crowd were sadly missing. Oh. Getting that younger lot involved in presenting panels, interviewing, etc is most welcome.

I remain baffled as to why certain events were switched around. Yeah, the Charity Auction started life on a Sunday, then got switched to a Saturday, but it got programed for a Sunday for Con26. Then it was put back to the Saturday for Con27. For Con28, it was on the Sunday again! The Raffle was switched from the Sunday to the Saturday this year. Personally, I felt it spoilt the rhythm of the Con.

I'm utterly gobsmacked (as were others that I spoke too) that the Charity Auction raised as much money as it did. The general consensus was that we wouldn't crack the £1000 barrier. Things did start a little slow (One Lot almost didn't get a bid), but things picked up a bit later. Once Colin Baker arrived, the 'fun' aspect started. Dare I say it? It's just a personal opinion though. Without Colin, I don't think we would've cracked the £1000 (Colin spending my money was funny as hell).

Overall, it was a good weekend. Everyone was good natured. Good humored and up for a gag or two. I've already signed up for Armadacon 2017 (Yup, it's not Armadacon 29. I think it's got something to do with some of the regulars that don't want to be reminded about the ageing process). I'll see everyone next year!
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: That was the Con 28, that was.

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Well that was Armadacon 28, and it was great. Thank you to all those involved in making it happen.

Guests were great. Colin Baker and Michael Jayston were great fun. (Someone remarked it was a shame Michael Sheard couldn’t have shared a panel with them.) Rob Sherman and Nev Fountain were informative and interesting on the subject of writing and Dr Who. Two non-guests who gave panels were David Wake who gave reading which breached the boundaries between reading and performance. And Andy Lane whose mystery panel must still remain a mystery, but instead gave a very entertaining, and again informative, talk on what he learned about writing from Dr Who. (Did you know that Andy Lane knows Stephen Moffat?)

Programme items were fun. Armadacon Unplugged went down well, as did the “more formal” readings on Saturday evening, which featured among other things, an excerpt from one of Circle of Spears productions, who subsequently gave a performance of the “Notorious Geography Scene" from David Wake's ‘Empire of the Dead.’

The Hotel. Great. As ever it was very nice having our own little section and the staff were all helpful & friendly. Slight negatives was that the con meals menu wasn’t available on the Friday – cue sharp intake of breath – but the burger I had while not cheap, was very good. And I also understand, hopefully correctly, that service in the restaurant on Saturday night was slow necessitating a half-hour delay on the masquerade starting. But those are the only negatives. I also thought the con meal on Sunday was greatly improved over last year; food was better, and did represent very good value at £20 for three courses. Service was pretty snappy, and far preferable to the canteen service last year.

The Maquerade was a lot of fun too. A nice selection of entries, none of which went on too long, and it was great to see some new faces as well.

Very pleased to hear that the auction broke £1,000. Especially because of the numbers attending, which leads on to:

Okay, the numbers game: they were down this year, I do know for certain that two of the regular attendees couldn’t make it owing to events clashing, and I guess similar reasons applied to other regulars who couldn’t make it, but it was still a little disappointing. (However I gather that the con did break even, so yay!)

Yet in some ways it was a major disappointment because from e-mails received from Armadcon e.g. limiting the number of full weekend tickets to 175, it was clear that the convention was expecting a big rush on account of the Dr Who guests. And it didn’t happen.

Why? I don’t know. As said they were great guests and a lot of fun. Possibilities which I’ve come across as to why: Colin & Philippa were only announced as guests in August, three months before the con, was that too late for people to make arrangements? Was clashing with bonfire night a factor? And was Armadacon as a whole inadequately publicised? As said, these are not definite answers, just possibilities.

Okay, at the end of the day Armadacon 28 was a lot of fun, and I realise that the committee worked really hard to make it happen, thank you guys, but it would be a shame if all this hard work went to waste because just aren’t enough people attending.

Well I guess that ends my two-pennyworth of JIMHO on Armadacon 28.

I know I’ve said it before, but thank you to everyone who made it happened; the committess, anyone who helped and everyone who turned up. Thank you. And I look forward to seeing you all in 2017.

PS While I’m sure there is no shortage of ideas for guests for 2017, might I suggest the artist Anne Stokes? Here’s her website: http://www.annestokes.com/
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

lordashram

Post by lordashram » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi All

Well its 3 months late but here I go.

I had a great time, more radio plays please (Signed Cretin).

The charity auction needs to move back to Saturday Afternoon/evening it did not feel right with it on Sunday.

I think one of the problems this year was that the con is on the same weekend as Bonfire night and I now that 2017 is on the same dates.

Any chance of moving back to the weekend after Bonfire night for 2018 ?

And do you need a Gopher/Butler/Security officer/Jedi/sith for 2017 ?

Regards
Kev
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Bad news Kev. It's unlikely I'll be writing a Radio Play this year. I do have a story running around my head, but it doesn't involve Lady Agatha and Cretin.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

lordashram

Post by lordashram » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Spudgun wrote:Bad news Kev. It's unlikely I'll be writing a Radio Play this year. I do have a story running around my head, but it doesn't involve Lady Agatha and Cretin.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.