Dysporium - Eastercon 2015

Fancy organising a trip away, theatre visit, cinema trip?
Here's the place to discuss the details and ask if anyone is interested!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Dysporium - Eastercon 2015

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:47 am

A bit of a belated write-up, but last (Easter) weekend Lorraine & I visited Eastercon a.k.a. Dysporium, and it was fun. It has a been a good long while since we’ve done Eastercon and we were tempted back by the presence of Jim Butcher, author of the seriously good ‘The Dresden Files,’ as GoH.

We were a little nervous since Lorraine & I are both big fans of ‘The Dresden Files.’ But Jim Butcher turned out to be a most entertaining guest, even while suffering from thirty-hours worth of jet-lag, and who made it to a lot of panels at the con.

For various reasons we managed to miss most of the other guests, and indeed a fair few of the other panels, though I did catch Seanan McGuire, American author also writing in the loose genre of Urban-fantasy, she was also entertaining, and we also saw some of Herr Doktor’s steam-punk creations in the art show: “Wow!”

And I did catch Armadacon regular Marion Pitman giving a reading; good stuff. Looking forward to seeing it in print in the anthology, “The Floorboards of Reality.”

And attended former Armadacon guest, who seems to be turning into an Armadacon regular, Frances Hardinge’s Kaffeeklatch, or as Frances put it, “The author petting zoo.” Either way it was fun and informative and I’m looking forward to France’s next books, including an adult fantasy based on the London Black Cabbie’s “The Knowledge.”

I also caught a historical panel about the misadventures of early aeronauts. Okay some of these genuinely brave pioneers were paying the price for being at the cutting edge of technology. Others seem to have been anticipating the Darwin Awards; letting off fireworks from a hydrogen balloon? What could possibly go wrong?

Nuts-and-bolts; the hotel seemed genuinely happy to have the con and the staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good, other meals were okay(-ish), but I found the lunchtime rolls a bit disappointing. Bar prices caused a sharp intake of breath; well it is London I suppose, but the Real Ale bar was much more reasonable.

The committee as far as I could tell did a bang-up job. There weren’t any obvious miss-steps, and the programme items were staggered and a point we made about the lack of labelling on the buffet dishes was actioned promptly. Well done.

Well that’s the end of the account of Geoffrey & Lorraine’s 2015 Eastercon adventure.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: Dysporium - Eastercon 2015

Post by Liz W » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:45 am

Thank you for that Geoffrey :D

I've never been an Eastercon; what kind of size is it, attendee wise?

It sounds like you had a good time :)

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: Dysporium - Eastercon 2015

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Liz - I had to resort to Wikipedia to get an idea of numbers, and according to Wikipedia the number of attendees was 1185. Funnily enough it was less than I thought; it certainly bustled. :-)

Checking on Wikipedia also confirmed that it had really been a good long while since Lorraine & I had been to an Eastercon, the last one we went to was in 2003! :o
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"