WorldCon comes to London in 2014

Fancy organising a trip away, theatre visit, cinema trip?
Here's the place to discuss the details and ask if anyone is interested!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

David A Harvey
Site Admin

WorldCon comes to London in 2014

Post by David A Harvey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:33 pm

:D Bounce, Bounce, Bounce :D

For anyone who hasn't heard - The World Science Fiction Convention will take place from Thursday 14th to Monday 18th August 2014 in London at the Excel Centre.
http://www.loncon3.org/
Please do follow the link, have a read, and give it serious consideration. This is a very rare opportunity to attend one of SF's big events without having to fly to the USA, and it will be seriously shiny.

:D Bounce, Bounce, Bounce :D

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: WorldCon comes to London in 2014

Post by Liz W » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 am

Hi David

Thank you for the heads up! :D

I have had a, very quick, look at the site and had a look at price (and was plesantly surprised, but now wonder what it doesn't include!)

As someone who has never been to a WorldCon (and only ever been to 1 'big' convention); what is WorldCon like?
What can you expect to see and do?

In other words, sell WorldCon to us David..... ;)

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:57 pm

I haven't been to a worldcon either ;) - which is why I'm really rather excited about going :D
but having spoken to people who have, and people who have been working on this bid for over 4 years now, what you are looking at is an epic 5 day festival of Sf and fantasy with 6 concurrent streams of programming http://www.loncon3.org/programme/areas with events of all sizes ranging from small and intimate panel/discussion/workshops up to big theatre events such as Guest of Honour interviews (Iain Banks is a hoot even if you haven't read any of his books*) and the, from reputation, jaw dropping masquerade.
If that doesn't seem like enough to keep you busy there will also be the dealers room, the art show and to help you chill out an enormous fan bar and lounge.

On the price front that £95 should get you into everything at the show** - this is a fan event put on by fans for fans - none of this supplementary fees rubbish that commercial event runners are so fond of.
But just like Armadacon it won't include your accommodation, food and spending money.

Looking at the names on the organising committee, the level of professionalism and commitment shown by their previous events (of which I've thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have attended) and my experience talking to and meeting people involved in merely getting this to be a successful bid*** (which is no mean feat), I have the upmost confidence that this will be quite an experience.

*but if you haven't... ;)
** if a fan is running something like a chocolate or beer tasting you might be asked to put in couple of quid towards materials but you aren't paying £95 for the privilege of paying a tenner a go to attend lectures.
*** for a taste of what's already been done http://www.londonin2014.org/sites/defau ... pr-1lr.pdf

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi David

Thank you for that :D

Firstly, an apology. I had assumed, by the way you were talking, that you had been to a WorldCon before; and that you had enjoyed yourself so much you wanted everyone to go! :oops:

It sounds like an amazing event; so much to do and see, plus well organised.

The price sounds very reasonable, particularly all inclusive. Although, as you say, most of us have to think about travel, accommodation, food & drink and spending money on top... even so....

I am going to give serious thought about going.

Hugs

Liz

lordashram

Post by lordashram » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Since this is such a big event.
I have already signed up as a fully paid member.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 am

Liz W wrote:The price sounds very reasonable, particularly all inclusive. Although, as you say, most of us have to think about travel, accommodation, food & drink and spending money on top...
On the accommodation from there is quite a lot on the Excel campus, at a price, but for those on a budget we've just booked at the Ibis London City which is one stop away on the DLR at a very reasonable £50 per room per night for a double/triple and would have been even less if I'd booked directly with them. Alternatively if you are on your own, for less than £20 per night, don't dismiss the YHAs at Westminster and Tower Bridge just a tube ride away.

Oh and FYI David Wake is talking about putting on a play at Worldcon.

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if people have been following today's fun and games with regard to the Hosting of the Hugo's, but lets just say it has been interesting and for me at least, it has ended with the right outcome for several reasons. For those who haven't been following it, a few hours ago the Loncon 3 committee announced that Jonathan Ross would be hosting the Hugo's. This led to a lot of comments, many negative, especially from the British. Our cousins across the Atlantic were much more bemused and many couldn't understand why this was controversial, (I'm sure I don't need to go into details here as to why I think it is). Since then there has been a lot of activity on the web which resulted in Jonathan Ross withdrawing from being host. Looking at Jonathan Ross's twitter page shows he did not react to the negativity with any understanding or grace, in fact he was verging on the abusive, I fear he has not learnt from the consequences of his radio fiasco with Russell Brand. Personally I think the event in London has had a close call. Things could have ended very badly for all even if Mr Ross was on his best behaviour, the tabloids would have had a field day and the losers would have been Science fiction in the UK. I did not engage in the comments surrounding this incident, I have no wish to enter into the fray, but hopefully the Loncon 3 committee will now look for a much less controversial host. I am now breathing a little easier and am looking forward to a trouble free (hopefully) Worldcon. Links to more about this incident can be found on Ansible.

Look forward to seeing you all soon.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 am

Hi Rotobunny

I hadn't been following that; but i think I agree with you, it was the right decision by the WC committee

I didn't realise that you and A were going to be at WorldCon 8-)

There is going to be a few ArmadaCon related people going.
In the next couple of months I'm going to get a list together and email everyone; so we can all get together at some point over the event.
It would also be cool if we could go along to David Wake's play, to support him.

Hugs

Liz

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi Liz,

We weren't sure we would be able to go, but thankfully a client has paid us just enough money to do so. We got in literally a few hours before the cost of registration went up. We felt we couldn't miss this one, especially as it won't be as far to go as the last two in the UK. We went to both of those, Alan was a speaker at the one back in the 1990's, he even had a bigger audience than Gerry Anderson :oops: . Yes, we will have to support David Wake. He did contact us about a technical issue with his play, but I'm not sure if we were able to resolve his issue or not, I hope we helped. Getting together would be really good, we are staying in the same hotel as Gary and Isa, although we managed to get a much cheaper room. I suspect we will be well away from civilisation and it doesn't include food, but as long as there is a bed to sleep in and the door has a good lock we don't really mind.

Going slightly off topic, (well quite a bit off really I suppose), pleased to see that Gravity won for Visual Effects at the oscars :D . I would recommend watching a half hour documentary on YouTube called Life after Pi. It shows the truth about the industry A. and I work in. I sometimes wonder why we do it, but then we only know visual effects and there are times when you just know you couldn't do anything else. I guess we are just geeks :ugeek: . Sorry, I will get off my soap box now.

Keep us informed about the other Armadacon folks going to Worldcon, I can see a party happening here!
Regards,

Rotobunny.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:20 am

Hi all

If anyone hasn't seen; the full programme is now up on their website

Cheers

Liz