Penny Dreadful

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Rotobunny

Penny Dreadful

Post by Rotobunny » Thu May 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure how many of you are able to see the Sky Atlantic channel, but I watched the first episode of Penny Dreadful the other night and was suitably impressed. Not so much with the story or the characters, but with the overall effect. I won't do any spoilers, but I will say that the look of the show and the care taken with the sets was impressive. The whole thing has a cinematic quality which has been sadly lacking in some shows in recent years. You can certainly see where the money was spent. Yes, there are a few clichés with the characters, the archetypal American sharp shooter, mysterious tarot reading leading lady, etc., but this isn't seriously overdone so may be forgiveable. There are a few nice nods to classic gothic horror films and stories, I won't reveal them here but I'm sure you will pick up on them, some are obvious but others you may have to think about for a bit. It also made me jump on several occasions to the point where I had to put down my knitting, normally I can happily knit whilst watching TV unless there are subtitles. It made me glad I wasn't watching a later showing, although I will admit to being of a nervous disposition when it comes to horror stuff so I may have jumped more than most. I did think they packed a lot into the first episode, maybe too much really, and the final scene with the anatomist was well done although I think his last sentence in this episode may have spoiled the effect a little. You will see what I mean when you see it. All in all this is a show I will be watching again, although it definitely isn't one to watch if you have recently eaten, especially if you are a little squeamish when it comes to blood and bodies. I just hope the quality of the show doesn't go down, especially the writing. It does have problems, but overall I think it is enough of an enjoyable experience to not dwell on them too much. Let me know what you thought of it, I would be interested in your opinion. And no, we didn't work on it, although we did work with Mr Hartnett a few years ago in Romania.
Regards,

Rotobunny.

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Re: Penny Dreadful

Post by David A Harvey » Thu May 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Thank you. I'll look out for it :D

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue May 27, 2014 6:55 am

Caught up with 'Penny Dreadful' last night too. Hmmm . . . not 100% sure. Very dark, in more ways than one, I couldn't see what was happening at some points . . . though this may not be a bad thing. :) And it was nice seeing this sort of stuff played straight rather than camped up. And it did look good.

Funnily enough this may be where the not being 100% sure about it comes in. Was it looking a little too cinematic, rather than naturalistic, and is playing so seriously also adding its own level of campness?

But it does pass the basic test of a first episode in that I will be tuning in to the second episode. :)

SOME RANDOM WITTERINGS, INCLUDING SPECULATION ABOUT THE ENDING, SPOILERED JIC

Nice to see vampires portrayed as monsters and not just "misunderstood." -eg-

The last line of the anatomist, I wondering if it was not so much he introducing himself, but if he was being ironic i.e. "I have become like that chap Mary Shelley wrote about over seventy years ago!"

Oh, and that was most creepy tarot card for 'The Lovers' I have ever seen.

END OF SPOILER WITTERINGS.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:47 am

Saw the last episode of the first season, and yes there will be a second, of 'Penny Dreadful.'

Still not sure about it. It was okay, nicely acted and it had its moments, but I overall I felt a little less than enthused. I probably will watch the second season, but more in the hope I'll enjoy it more than the first.

SPOILERED FOR SOME OBSERVATIONS, THE LAST EPISODE AND THE LAST LINE OF THE LAST EPISODE.

IMHO there were too many scenes of unlikeable characters shouting rude words at each other in rooms where it was too dark to see properly.

A "broomhandle" Mauser being called capable of stopping an elephant? Even allowing for the first flush of new technology and advertising hype . . . well maybe if it was Han Solo's. ;)

But 'Penny Dreadful' did have its moments and the full moon scene was one of them.

However the fight to rescue Mina in the theatre wasn't one of them. I was feeling that this was supposed to be what the series had been working up to all along, and when it finally occurred it was a bit of an anti-climax.

But the last line was definitely a good 'un: "Are you sure you want to be normal?"

:twisted:

END OF SPOILERS
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Can a Mauser 'Broomhandle' stop an Elephant? You decide.

Frau Nydor is watching YOU!