Thunderbirds are Go.

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Thunderbirds are Go.

Post by Spudgun » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:17 am

I admit, I didn't have high hopes for this. After the monumental turd that was the 2004 movie, I had to wonder if any lessons had been learned. Surprise, surprise, they had. I rather enjoyed it. OK, it's not as good as the original (It's a rare thing when something is as good as, or even better), but the people behind the new series have certainly put the effort in. If I had to 'nail my colours to the wall', I'd say the Thunderbirds are Go is better than the CGI Captain Scarlet series. TaG is far closer to the original whereas NCS went is a slightly different direction (The CGI Captain Black was still creepy as hell though).

The redesigned TB craft are very good (with the exception of TB5). Far better than the 'pigs ear' of the movie craft. I want a new TB2! FAB 1 is a Rolls Royce and not a Ford. Although I'm sure that they pinched the idea of it flying from the movie. No matter though. It still looks good.

I'm trying to figure out why they renamed Tin-tin Kayo. I wonder if it's a copyright issue with that foreigner with the blond hair and the yappy dog. Thunderbird S? Excuse me? Did the makers watch Thunderbird 6? A bit of a black mark there.

I'm going with the flow on the missing Jeff Tracy. At least the original voice still turns up. Brains appears to be an Indian now. Did anyone else notice the strange accent? At least the stammer had been muted. It worked great for the original. It made the movie Brains look stupid.

Where I'm really throwing my teddy out of the pram is the title sequence. I understand that changes had to be made, but the new sequence lacked the tension and drama of the original. The footage was there, but the soundtrack and the order of things let it down. OK, the Barry Grey stuff was a hard act to follow, but screwing up the titles is no excuse. I hated it so much, that I recorded the +1 repeat and took the footage and the original soundtrack into the editing suite. Here's the result.

http://youtu.be/S3faq1ErBAs

I wonder how ITV will treat the rest of the series? They treated the CGI Captain Scarlet series badly.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbirds are Go.

Post by Liz W » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:48 am

I have to say I enjoyed it :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Brains is now Indian!

It's annoying that they are moving it to 'kids tv'!
As, i feel, it won't get the audience it deserves

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:14 pm

As it happens, I'm watching TaG right now. It seems that episodes get their first airing at 8am on the Saturday, but are repeated at a later time during the week. I can live with at. The only other disappointment is that they're 30 minute episodes. Although it is possible to tell a story within that time frame (It's been done heaps of times before), everything seems a little rushed.

Reading around, it looks that the new series are doing a remake of Trapped in the Sky. The original version was geared for a 30 minute time slot, but when Lew Grade saw it want wanted a 60 minute episode, Gerry and Co extended it. It would be interesting to see how the new 30 minute version pans out. If I remember correctly. The new version is called Fireflash.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 am

Oh dear. The disappointment continues. I've just seen episode 3. The whole thing doesn't even occupy a 30 minute time slot. The episode was 20 minutes long! OK, there wasn't a commercial break in the middle, but even so. It's so short! The whole thing felt so rushed.

I wouldn't put it past ITV to hack episodes to pieces in order to fit them into a given time slot. Only checking the repeat during the week will tell.

I'm still enjoying it though.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 am

yes I have to agree; I was shocked it was only 20 minutes :!:

Liz

lordashram

Post by lordashram » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:36 pm

I had heard that the episodes were cut to 20 minutes since children's attention only lasts that long.
Give me a break if they are good exiting episodes children will watch them regardless of there length :evil:
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:20 am

I'm becoming increasingly pleased and disappointed (in equal measure) at the new series. It's the running time that annoys the most. Yeah, I've mentioned it before, but it's impacting on the story. Not only do things appear rushed. Things are becoming contrived. Under normal circumstances, a scene would go from A to B to C. In order to cut the time scale, the scene is going from A straight to C. Here's what I mean.

Scott and the bint fall off the wire. Out pops Virgil in the Mole. The passenger hatch opens and the falling duo fall straight in! Yeah, right. That's A to C right there!

I don't go with this 'attention span' thing. I'm more inclined to believe it's a commercial break situation. Let's take Star Trek for example. The original series had a run time of 50 minutes. TNG had a run time of 45 minutes. Voyager ended up with a run time of 42 minutes. Attention span? Nope. Shorter run times so that more commercials could be aired. Yup. If you think about it. The likes of Captain Scarlet and Joe 90 had a run time of 25 minutes. TaG is 20% shorter! That's a lot of story that could've been told!

On the upside, the program makers have really done their homework. It was Gerry's vision for a revamped Thunderbirds series, that Thunderbird 2 pods would be factory based. In other words. The equipment needed for a given rescue would be manufactured on site and then used. They've taken this on board and used a modular design to create the Mole and the Domo (Good to see both).

There are things that need to change though. Get rid of the countdown before the Thunderbird craft launch. There's no need for it. Get rid of the swiveling main engines on Thunderbird 1. A: It doesn't look right when the engines are 45 degrees out to the main body. B: It lead to a continuity error at the end of the episode.

Still better than the awful 2004 movie though.

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Yes I clapped when the Mole appeared :D

Liz

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm a bit late on this, as I've been out all day.

Fireflash was the episode I've been waiting for. It was a remake of the original episode called: Trapped in the Sky. As buffs will know. Trapped in the Sky was originally made for a 30 minute time slot. However, when Lew Grade saw it, he wanted Thunderbirds to have a 60 minute time slot, so this episode (along with the 5 following ones) had to be extended. As buffs will also know, some outtakes were use to make the original episode longer. There was a nod to this practice in the re-imagined episode. So what to we have?

I'm beginning to get into this series. Yes, everything is still rushed. I suspect that the original episodes (in their original format) had an actual run time of 25 minutes. With the 20 minute run time of the new series, a few liberties had to be taken. These 'liberties' were easier to spot when the history of the original episode is known. However, this is a moot point. So what do we have in the new version?

Fireflash is a lot smaller. However, the aircraft is a lot more plausible as an aircraft. The key design components are still there. The cockpit is still in the tail. The paintwork is still the same. So is the airline name. Certainly enough to keep the fans happy.

Gerry Andersons idea of a 'factory pod' comes to the fore again. However, we've learned its limitations. It can only hold two adaptable vehicles. This is where this weeks 'faux pas' happened. In the original, Virgil manned the Master Control vehicle. The others were on remote control. This time, one elevator car was clearly marked Master Control, but both cars were manned. Whoops!

Another plus point was a new arrangement of a Barry Grey score was used during the rescue. However, it was very much in the background and wasn't really noticeable. Personally. I think it was there to appease the buffs, rather then the new viewers.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat May 09, 2015 7:21 pm

There are things that are beginning to irritate with this new series. It's not the run time. It's not the stories. It's more of a WTF moment. Or a 'Eh? How did that happen?'. I've been saving some of the episodes on my PC. Naturally, I've been re-watching them.

Now. I re-watched Fireflash and I spotted a problem. In the new version. There are only two elevator cars. Fireflash drops onto three. We're then back to two elevator cars again.

In today's episode. Scott takes Brains to a runaway train in Thunderbird 1. There's the standard sequence of Scott entering TB1. When he gets there. Brains is already seated. How did Brains get there? Even more interesting. How did Brains get there quicker? OK. I'm labouring a point here. Exactly the same thing happened in the original series. Scott goes to TB1 and Brains is already sat in the compartment behind him. You would've thought that the new series would've addressed this. Hell. They've had 50 years to think about it! While I'm on the same episode.....

Just how does TB1 manage to fly? There's Scott standing in the equipment bay, trying to 'persuade' Brains to go down the wire. TB1's vertical thrusters are blazing away. However. The 'empty' bay of TB1 can't possibly explain the blazing thrusters. There's nothing to connect one thing to the other. Again, they've had 50 years to understand that fans are a bunch of picky devils.

I'm still enjoying the series though.