The Doctor is back!!

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

rentawitch

The Doctor is back!!

Post by rentawitch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Well nearly. Has anyone seen the trailer yet? It looks great!.

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: The Doctor is back!!

Post by Liz W » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:20 am

Hi all

Yes I've seen the trailer and it does, indeed, look great!

It still says 'coming soon'; anyone any idea the date the new season is due to start?

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Not long now - first episode is scheduled for 23rd April 2011 and Neil Gaiman has written episode 4 :o :D

Although to keep us on tenterhooks we get 7 episodes now and then the show has a big break for the summer holidays and comes back in september for the last 6.

Does contain spoilers : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_(series_6)

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:01 am

Seen the trailer and I hope the series is as good, if not better, as the trailer promises.

Stephen Moffat had an interview in the Sunday Telegraph (can't find it online) but while there were no real spoilers he hinted at some major character developments.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

kerry3e

Post by kerry3e » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:29 pm

My fellow ArmadaConee's

I don't know if it's a spolier or not

But you don't expect 'Tricky Dicky' President Nixon to feature in a Dr Who story do you?

Always
Kerry3e

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm

kerry3e wrote:I don't know if it's a spolier or not
Yes it is ;)
but one deliberately released:

The Prequel to Episode 1
The new series of Doctor Who begins at Easter with The Impossible Astronaut. But before that we have a short scene written by Steven Moffat that reveals a little of what we can expect from the adventure … and what the Doctor will be facing!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00fxf06

IMHO don`t watch it yet... :twisted:

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Okay, I've just watched "The Impossible Astronaut" and I really, really liked it.

Some random thoughts, all JIMHO and feel to have Your Mileage vary.

SPOILER SPACE (Also highlight the text to reveal it.)
~
~
~
~
~
~

Effectively the episode kicks off with the Doctor dying and works up to a climax.

I found opening sequence of the Doctor centred silliness a bordering on the naff, but when it became the Doctor "waving at Rory and Amy from history" it made sense.

The Stormcage Containment Facility ought to change its name to the Stormcage Drop-in-Bed & Breakfast-Facility.

Nice to see River Song back, and I loved the banter between her and the Doctor, "Scanner never works when we're cloaked." -beat- "Have you got the scanner working yet?" "I hate him."

Actually I did think the dialogue was pretty snappy throughout. e.g. "one of these men is worth listening to."

Bit of a gun-bunny note here, but I liked the fact that they had the Secret Service armed with with .357's, okay I don't know what the US Secret Service was packing in 1969 (And I should I be worried about the fact that it concerns me?) but it looked right.

Big time paradox going on, and a slight niggle; neutralising the Doctor's assassin is not on, but escaping from the Tower of London in a balloon is just good clean fun? Ah well, it's all just a big ball etc

I do really like Matt Smith's Doctor, but there was something really rather satisfying about seeing him getting slapped.

I realise I'm in danger of slipping into review speak here, but monsters which you don't see when you've turned away from them are trademark Moffat.

As I said these are just my random thoughts about the episode. Do I have any reservations? Well I've mentioned a slight niggle about the time paradox above, and I am wondering if this is in risk of slipping from being fun and intriguing, into the territory of being overly-complicated and smugly clever, but darnnit! I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to part two.

Oh, and one final random thought: Yep, Stetsons are cool, but Fezzes are cooler.

~
~
~
~
~
END OF SPOILER SPACE

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:14 pm

We had a thunder storm in this neck of the woods. As a result, the TV went dead a couple of times. Now, Moffat writes somewhat involved stories (You blink and you miss a plot point). As a result, there's a couple of things I don't get.

Guess I'll have to watch it again.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Mon May 02, 2011 8:15 am

Well I've seen "The Day of the Moon" and basically I enjoyed it.

Random witterings following:

SPOILER SPACE
~
~
~

As said I enjoyed it, but I think I'll have to watch it again so I understand it. Now does this mean I'm slow on the uptake, which is my problem, or is it that the story is being badly told, which is Stephen Moffat's problem? Or then again is it that the episode rocketed along at such a pace it's not surprising the odd little plot hole opens up?

Anyway . . . It did look good. I recall one Christmas Special where the BBC did a lot of location filming in Dubai, and for all that was shown on screen they might as well have filmed it in the BBC quarry; not this episode.

Heck of a pre-title sequence. Okay, the "Someone's died; Oh, no they haven't really" has been done before i.e. last week (sort of, the Doctor is dead, only not for about two hundred years) But darn it! It made me smile.

Observation: The Doctor is getting really proficient at piloting the Tardis. Not so long ago you'd be lucky if he'd got it to within ten years and a country. Now he can bring it in with enough precision to catch a falling archaeologist.

Archaeologist? River Song seems to belong to the Lara Croft school of archaeology, and I while I really like her character and I am very interested to see how her story plays out, I have a slight niggle that she's turning into superwoman.

Favourite lines:

"We do not need weapons."
BANG-BANG-BANG
"Welcome to America."

And also:

"Is this person black?"
"Yes."
"You know I'm more liberal . . ."
"He is."
"Let's just leave it at the moon shall we."

Btw, I got the impression that Tricky Dicky was being used as a substitute psychic notepaper in this episode.

Niggle: The Doctor using his sonic screwdriver as some kind of Harry Potter style magic wand in the climatic shootout with the Silence. Okay, the screwdriver’s come along way over the years, but is this a sort of move from Doctor Who from being science-fiction to being a fairy tale? And if so does it matter as long as it's fun and consistent within its own logic?

Observation: Lots of threads left hanging, Amy's off-or-on phantom pregnancy, The Spooky Little Girl, Rory's (well-founded?) doubts about where Amy's affections truly lie and that River Song/Doctor smooch being the first time (for him.)

~
~
~
END OF SPOILER SPACE

Next weeks episode looks interesting:

SPOILER JUST IN CASE YOU'VE SKIPPED THE TRAILER
~
~
~

"Stroppy homicidal mermaid trying to kill you."

Can't be bad . . . Errr . . . Keeping fingers crossed.

~
~
END OF SPOILER SPACE

As ever all random witterings are JIMHO and YMMV :)

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Sun May 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Well I’ve seen “The Curse of the Black Spot” and IMHO it wasn’t exactly bad . . .

Random witterings to follow: SPOILER SPACE
~
~
~
~

The idea of a crashed starship just out of phase with this reality was rather neat, and it provided a satisfactory explanation for the Tardis showing up, and the idea of the ships automatic medical system being behind the problem was good sci-fi stuff.

Although wasn’t this idea very similar to that in “The Empty Child?”

And using reflective surfaces to transit between parallel universes! How does that work exactly?

Another staple of sci-fi stories is races/people who’ve acquired technology ahead of their time, it often doesn’t end well, and now the Doctor has let a bunch of Seventeenth Century pirates lose with a starship. Hmmm . . . it’s possible we may never see these guys again, but let us hope it doesn’t come around and bite the Doctor on the bottom.

Which reminds me, I’m with Rory on this, Amy should dress up as a pirate more often.

Some intriguing bits and pieces about what is shaping up to be this seasons story arc (I’m guessing) flash backs to the woman with the shiny eye-patch, the future Doctor’s death (assuming that the Doctor was telling the truth about him being two-hundred years older) and Amy’s Schrödinger’s pregnancy.

All-in-all I enjoyed it. Not IMHO one of the great Dr. Who episodes, but it was fun and it was nice to have a small scale episode after the epic scale of last weeks. Could have done without the alien boogies though . . .

~
~
~
END OF SPOILER SPACE

Feel free to have Your Mileage Vary. :)