The Doctor is back!!

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: The Doctor is back!!

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Okay I've just caught up with 'Cold War' . . . Hmmm . . . Is the fact I'm letting Doctor Who languish on disc for a couple of weeks, rather than being poised waiting for the end credits of Grandstand to roll indicative of the show's quality these days? Or maybe I prefer to wait until I give the episode my full attention and savour of drop of Whovian goodness?

Then again maybe technology has just made me lazy . . .

Still here are some of my random witterings, SPOILERED JIC and as always JIMHO:

Nice seeing an old favourite again, and I personally liked the idea of the Ice Warriors wearing bio-argument armour, okay this is a bit of a cliché these days, but it was still a touch I liked.

Some other bits I liked:

The confrontation in the control with the sub out-of-control and the Doctor saving it by "thinking laterally." I really liked this, it showed the Doctor keeping a clear head in a crisis and saving the day by actually thinking, rather than just by spouting techno-babble. OTOH I found it hard to hear what people were saying, or shouting, because the background music was so loud.

The Tardis translator gags; "You're speaking perfect Russian, but there are times I can't understand a word you say."

Btw, Russians "speaking English" without a Russian accent. Made it easier to understand, or made them seem less Russian?

And my favourite line: "You're from future?" "Look . . ." "But I have to know! Do Ultravox split up!"

Some bits I am really not sure about:

The bit were The Doctor going through the hawkish(& dead) Commissar's wallet and finding a photo of the guy's girlfriend. I suppose it's good to have characters with more depth than just "Unsympathetic Russian," but this felt contrived.

This business of the Ice Warriors being a "proud, noble, warrior race" it was a bit over done.

Especially for those of us who remember the days when Doctor Who was on after Grandstand . . .

And I also felt that The Doctor kept on about it because from what we saw on screen we'd have never have worked it out for ourselves. And given that the Ice Warrior philosophy seemed to be that getting the odd slap from some members of the human race justifies genocide; you could be forgiven for assuming "proud, noble, warrior race" is a synonym for "a bunch of arrogant jerks."

Then there was the final confrontation in the Control Room. Okay The Doctor being willing to blow up the submarine to save the world is in character. (Although the sonic-screwdriver really is becoming multi-functional these days.) But somehow it didn't convince. Okay, we all pretty darn sure that I Doctor Who won't come to an abrupt end under the polar-ice cap. The problem was to me it seemed that every character on screen seemed to know that.

Personally I think there was a case for that the moment the Ice Warrior took off his helmet, somebody put a burst of 7.62x39mm through his head.

(Though, gunfire on a submarine? Just where do the bullets go?)

But in the end the World was saved by a few bars of Duran Duran? -sigh-

And the whole thing could have been avoided if the Soviet Navy had been a bit more careful about keeping suicidally curious twits and oxy-acetylene cutting gear separate.

Bottom line: It wasn't bad, but, consider the basic plot: An Ice Warrior loose on a Soviet ballistic missile submarine at the height of the Cold War! It felt like it should have been better.

And now The Doctor and Clara are stuck in 1983 until they can reach Antartica . . .

. . . we shall see what happens next.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Caught up with both 'Hide' and 'Journey to the Centre of the Tardis' in fairly short order.

I thought both of them were fun episodes, and that in my youth 'Hide' would have had me well behind the sofa.

But . . .

Although each episode was in its own way good, and had some effective twists, there was a lot of stuff which left me going "Huh?"

But some brief random witterings for 'Hide'

As I said the "ghost" was very scarey.

And the idea that the ghost was really a time traveller trapped in a bubble universe was clever.

And Emma and the Professor were interesting guest characters . . . Hmmm . . . Maybe candidates for a Doctor Who spin-off?

And the dialogue between Clara and the Clara as the Tardis' Avatar was rather fun

But then there were the "Huh" moments . . .

The bubble universe idea; was it nudging into clever-clever? "Time paradoxes will work themselves out" contrasted with the idea that the time-traveller can't go home because her disappearance is a "fixed point in time."

The "monster" turning out to be just looking for it's lost mate was a nice idea. But was it ever explained what it was, or how it got there, or even - as was implied - how its mate had been lurking in the house for a thousand years.

And there was the suspicion that this was all just techno-babble delivered so fast no one would notice.

Ah well, it was still fun and scarey, but perhaps the scariest moment was Emma's line to Clara: "Stay away from the Doctor; there's a shard of ice in his heart." -shiver-

And as an aside for 'Hide' which contains spoilers for 'Cold War'

After the end of 'Cold War' I was expecting a mini-arc about the Doctor and Clara being trapped in the eighties. Though I *suppose* all the Doctor needed to do was get in touch with UNIT and say "Hi I'm The Doctor; fly me to Antartica before I meet myself!"

Random witterings for 'Journey to the Centre of the Tardis' to follow in due course.

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu May 02, 2013 8:42 pm

I thought 'Journey to the Centre of the Tardis' was fun, and it rocketed along at a fair old pace, but . . .

Ultimately it left me feeling that it was an awful lot of techno-babble served up at high speed with a fair few "Huh?" moments.

Anyway these are my random witterings on it SPOILERED JIC and, as always, JIMHO:

Good bits:

The Van Buleen brothers, defining the term unloveable rouges. Though they were starting to show a shred of decency at the end.

The Doctor seting the Tardis to self-destruct - well he had me convinced!

The burn zombies - very creepy.

*Some* of the interior of the Tardis

Now the "Huh?" moments.

The interior of the Tardis is infinite . . .

References to things like the "Eye of Harmony" and The Doctors true name. Maybe it's just me but this felt like throwing a bone to the truly dedicated fans of the show.

And everything was saved by The Doctor, literally, pressing the reset button. Hmmm . . .

As said these random witterings are JIMHO.

Now on to 'The Crimson Horror' and I will admit that the return of The Great Lizard Lady Detective & Co does perk my interest.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Sat May 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Jasper Wrote:
Now on to 'The Crimson Horror' and I will admit that the return of The Great Lizard Lady Detective & Co does perk my interest.

It piqued my interest was well. I watched it and really enjoyed it. Mind you, I do get the feeling that it served as a Pilot for a series to replace The Sarah Jane Adventures. I like the idea of a 'Victorian Torchwood'.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Sun May 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I have to say, in 'Journey to the Centre of the Tardis'; I really did like the Library :D

Particulary with a certain book within it! *plot device alert*!! if ever i saw one!! :lol:

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Looks like we might know who the next Doctor is on Sunday (4th)!!

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/12th-doctor-re ... -52184.htm

Hugs

Liz

---------------------------------------------

Update:
This has now been confirmed by the BBC; this Sunday, 7pm on BBC1 :D

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:14 am

Liz - Thank you very much for the heads up.

We shall see, we shall see . . . :geek:

Liz W
Site Admin

Post by Liz W » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:29 am

So peeps, let's get a discussion going here!

What do people think about Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor??

My thoughts:
I'm very happy with this choice :D
I've never watched a series where he has played a regular; but those things I have seen him in, I thought he was very good.

I have to say I am glad they have gone for an older actor this time; I can't really say why, I just am!

I didn't realise, until I watched the announcement programme; that he is a fan of the programme. Which helps!

What does everyone else think?

Liz

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:06 pm

I didn't actually see the programme, and I'm not really familair with Peter Capaldi as an actor, but my initial reactions are positive. I think he could be good in the role, and it is interesting after a couple of Doctors getting progressively younger that they've gone for an older actor. (As pointed out, Peter Capaldi is the same age as William Hartnell when he took the role.)

And FWIW Lorraine approves of him being cast as well.

Hmmm . . .

Caveats though; he needs to well written as the Doctor, and he needs to have good stories.

Okay I may not be able to give a precise definition of "well written Doctor" and "good Doctor Who story," but I'll know it when I see it. ;)

So to my mind looking it's good, but ultimately we'll have to wait-and-see.

And that's my two-pennyworth of IMHO. :)

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:31 am

I'm glad that an announcement has been made and that the BBC made it rather than waiting until it leaked out as a tabloid exclusive.

I'm quietly confident that Peter Capaldi will do a good job. He's not an actor whose work I'm particularly familiar with although a look through his resume on IMDB shows that I have seen him, and in productions I am fond of. As well as being very good in Torchwood: Children of Earth.

Fingers crossed