BBC Outcasts

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

kerry3e

BBC Outcasts

Post by kerry3e » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Who esle watched BBC's latest SF series Outcasts? I did and quite enjoyed it but due to it removal or new timeslot I think this was a one hit(one series) wonder!

Always
Kerry3e

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: BBC Outcasts

Post by Liz W » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 am

Hi Kerry and all

I, too, watched Outcasts

I really, really enjoyed it.

I have heard that there will not be a 2nd season :( , although how true this is I don't know.

If there isn't, it will be a real shame!

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

kerry3e

Post by kerry3e » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Liz and All

The series came in for particular slagging by the acid tongue critic of The Daily Mirror. He demonstrated his feeling by saying the BBC had told us we were going to be offered adult SF far away from the worlds of Blakes 7 and Dr Who....if this is it(Outcasts) then it certainly is'nt!! Although I'm not greatly a fan of the new Galatica as I felt at times it was confused or plot threads where thrown in as and when I felt here was a British attempt at a SF series akin to the New Survivors. For me the new Survivors never hit the mark that I never bothered with the second season but what that critic made no allonce for is here is eposodic TV and that takes time to build plot and intention. It would be interesting to know what he has to say about American SF because the medium is treated seaminly with more respect and it would be interesting whether this guy keeps his trap shut on American SF not because of quality but because of weight of tv series in numbers produced. It was his voicings that maybe lead to it being lost in late night Sunday night TV slot...that I think we must feel lucky that at least we got to see all the series rather than seeing it pulled when only half way through!!

I think equally what interested me was the cast in the form of the actress whom played 'Ros' in 'Spooks' was the second in Comd. and brought a real empathy to her role that you wanted to share. I never particularly liked her charracter in 'Spooks' . The writer of the series was one whom brought Spooks into existence. Also although I'm not sure in reading the listings on IMBD Cass Cromwell ws the actor whom play'd the Deamon/Devil in the last Season of Ashes to Ashes. I think this series showed there abilities and talent but thanks to narrow minded tongue of a critic the series was done in before it had a chance to really show what it's capable of. I also thought our current attending AmadaCon SFX tech whom was a guest at the Fleet Club worked on this series but I cannot see him listed on IMBD. I wonder is a simular situation proberlly appliable to the excellent 'Strange' as well, which in it's day was the best last hope for British SF!

Shame, Real Shame
Kerry

Rotobunny

Post by Rotobunny » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi All

I can confirm that Alan Marques was the Visual Effects Supervisor on Outcasts as I worked as his assistant. He was also the Visual Effects Supervisor on Strange too. It wasn't really the critics that did the show in, although they didn't help, but I think it was probably politics at the BBC. We got word that it had not been renewed after about the third of fourth episode had been shown on TV, just about the time that it was moved to Sunday nights. There was a change high up in BBC One last October and often the incoming person gets rid of as many shows that his or her predecessor was responsible for as possible and any excuse is used. I must admit I always was a bit worried about it being prime time BBC One as I wasn't sure a new Sci-fi show would survive this no matter how good it was. Also, I don't think the writer was right for it. We saw him a few times out in South Africa and Alan did his best to get the Science side corrected on the few times he got to talk to him, but he seemed quite proud that he didn't know Science Fiction and showed no signs of wanting to. I really do think it was a combination of the wrong writer and politics at the Beeb. Sad really, I think once it had got it's feet it would have lasted for several seasons. Besides, we really enjoyed filming in South Africa, even though it was their Winter, and having to live in the Cape Winelands and drink all that incredibly good cheap wine was a real drag, but I guess someone had to do it. :lol: Hopefully, we will be at the next Armadacon and will be able to let you all know all about it. Well, maybe not all or you wound never get home again!
Regards,

Rotobunny.

kerry3e

Post by kerry3e » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:41 am

Rotobunny

Thank you for the details and for helping this inderviual whom mispronouces 'her worms' and forgets her 'p's and 'q's hormones not with standing with Alan's name as I'm terrible with remembering names!!

As said this was a series which was episodic televison and that 'takes' and is allowed time to develop..BUT, sadly it is not a medium that responds well to critic's and as detailed political moves that those that dip into early episodes when plot, ideas have not yet had the time to fully develop because the nature of episodic tv allows more time for charracter, plot and design to develop over time, over 'the quick fix' of straight away! Maybe a possible comparision for 'Outcasts' was 'Firehfly' except for us on this side of the pond we got to see the pilot episode where as America lunched it with the 2nd or 3rd episode and was met with confusion. Firefly or Serenity though developed enough support to have a film made for large screen cirulation after the series had been cancelled!!

I must admit as a student of history and SF and Fantasy..I watch series like these trying to identity historical infulences where for instance the AC's the American Indian or more a sutle refenerence to Austrailia or Africa. inhabitants. I guess I'll never really know or maybe more a case maybe I don't want to altomatically know as to know would take the mystery and wonder and questions any good SF inspires!!

Always
Kerry3e

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:07 am

Hi Rotobunny :)

Thanks for giving us an insider’s view, and yes I'd very much like to hear more at the next Armadacon.

I enjoyed Outcasts, although I never felt I was watching really great SF TV. (Great visual effects though!) I did find that there were things that bothered me, such as the background to the flight from Earth which was hinted at in, what I found, fairly clunking exposition. (Actually that could be said about a lot of stuff in Outcasts, including some of the characters.) And they seemed a little vague on how the colony was supporting itself with such mundane matters as food and clothing. OTOH it did have things going on, some intriguing mysteries, some interesting characters and, very importantly, some touches of humour as well.

I was at Redemption '11 in February and there was a panel on Outcasts; a couple of interesting points come out. One was from Armadacon regular Dr. Bob, that because of the need to get Radio Times printed the move of Outcasts to the Sunday night slot had to be planned at least two weeks in advance. The other was reports that it was going to end on a cliffhanger and that season two was going to be absolutely stunning . . . -sigh-

Viewing figures were also mentioned, sadly some of the attendees at Redemption mentioned giving up on Outcasts after the first episode :( I haven't found any really detailed figures, but Wikipedia (Okay, not necessarily the most reliable source) shows a sharp drop after episode one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcasts_(TV_series)

And the Broadcasters Audience Research Board (BARB) has Outcasts in BBC1's top thirty most watched during its first week on air, and then not in the top thirty come its second week. :(

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyTopP ... sOverview?

Personally I am disappointed that we're not getting a second series of Outcasts, but sadly not heartbroken. :(
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"