Space 2099 ?

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

dfuk

Space 2099 ?

Post by dfuk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 am

'Space: 2099' to Be Revived for Television

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS, the company behind ABC's reimagining of "V," are prepping a contemporary iteration of the 1970s space franchise.

ITV Studios America and HDFILMS announced plans for a reimagining of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's famed franchise of the 1970s, then called Space: 1999. The news comes months after Fox and producer Seth MacFarlane announced they would be reviving Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, a 1980s miniseries from Carl Sagan.

"Science fiction is a powerful format capable of visualizing the human condition in thought-provoking ways," said HDFilms president Jace Hall, who will spearhead the effort and serve as an executive producer. The project is in the development phase and has yet to be shopped to networks.

"While we are indeed re-imagining the franchise and bringing something new and relevant to today’s audiences," continued Hall, who recently revived V at ABC, "I feel strongly that some of the overall tones set by the original Space: 1999 television show represent an exciting platform to explore possibilities.”

Added ITV Studios International's managing director Paul Buccieri: “After more than 35 years, we are thrilled to be developing a new vision of our much beloved franchise for audiences worldwide. Historically, the Space: 1999 brand has entertained and fascinated millions of people."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ake-288601
Dave & Barry, Watching bad movies so you don't have to.

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: Space 2099 ?

Post by Liz W » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:21 am

Oooooooohhhhhhh!

Hugs

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 am

Well, that's . . . interesting. :? We'll see how it all turns out when (if?) it hits our screens..

Thanks for the news.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm

dfuk wrote:ITV Studios America and HDFILMS, the company behind ABC's reimagining of "V," are prepping a contemporary iteration of the 1970s space franchise.
I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this. In my opinion, the re-imagining of V sucked! Having said that, Season 2 of Space:1999 was pretty dire, so it's hard to see how it can be made any worse. I'd like to think that they'll keep the 'feel' of Season 1, but get rid of the dodgy science. Fingers crossed, they won't include the smart-arsed kid (Although The Alpha Child did have a kid in it, he wasn't a smart arse), or a cute pet. I suppose it's a question of who the new series will be aimed at. If it's a more adult series, then Season 1 is the way to go. If it's the bottomless bucket of chum that is kiddie-fodder, then expect something along the lines of Season 2. Either way, they'd better not change the Eagle. Thankfully, America still has the death penalty.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

David A Harvey
Site Admin

Post by David A Harvey » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear :roll:
Still, in the unlikely event that anything comes of this, possibly it won't be dreadful. :twisted: