What's your favourite?

New programs, old programs, favourite programs – here's the place to talk about them

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Liz W
Site Admin

What's your favourite?

Post by Liz W » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi all

Well, let's see if we can get some discussion going!! I am curious to see what everyone says!

Two questions to answer, but I would also like to know why you have chosen what you have!
Honourable mentions are good too!

i) What is your favourite Sci Fi / Fantasy TV series?
and
ii) What is your favourite non Sci Fi / Fantasy TV series?

Seeing as I posed the questions, I suppose I better start!

My favourite Sci Fi series is Star Trek : The Next Generation.

Why, well I guess it's because Next Gen was the first Sci Fi I remember seeing.
I remember sitting watching Encounter At Farpoint and being completely enthralled!

My honourable mention would be Stargate SG1; in my opinion, the best of the Stargate series' and just good all round Sci Fi.

As for non Sci Fi; it is, without a doubt, M*A*S*H
This series made me laugh and cry, in equal measure.
The characters were brilliant, the cast equally so; the episodes were superbly written, directed and acted. In my opinion, anyway!

My honourable mention would be The A Team.
A series about good people having to live outside the law, even though they did nothing wrong; and still doing some good for the world!
For a series full of explosions, only one person died (and that was an assassination!)

Over to you peeps!

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

Spudgun

Re: What's your favourite?

Post by Spudgun » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 pm

OK, let's rock.

At number one, it's Space:1999. I'll only comment on season one (I don't talk about season two much and neither should you). The visuals are sumptious (The FX works still holds well today) and the whole piece had a sense of wonder to it.

Honorable mention goes to: Babylon 5. There was a story to tell and it was told well.

As for the non Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff. Sorry, but nothing really stands out. There are programs that I'll watch over and over again (The World at War being one), but none are what I would consider favorites.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Geoffrey(aka Jasper)

Re: What's your favourite?

Post by Geoffrey(aka Jasper) » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Okay then, well for i) it has be Babylon 5. I loved the epic sweep of it, the characters, aliens who had their own agendas and convoluted plotlines. And it was probably the first SF TV series to make full use of CGI, and boy did it look good! Okay, I do feel that it lost steam in the final season, but even at its worst it was still pretty darn good.

Honourable mentions: Xena: Warrior Princess, a light, camp and silly series about guilt and redemption. Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, there is an idea that it was really at it's best in the first three series, and I can see that point, but at its best it was a brilliant mixture of angst, drama and humour. Doctor Who,both the new and the original. Okay, some episodes have been better than others, in fact some I wouldn't mind un-seeing again, but at its best . . . well, is there any room behind the sofa? :geek:

Oh and a very honourable mention: Firefly. Great characters, great story and an unfolding over-arcing plot. Killed off before waaaaaay too soon, but at least in Serenity we got to see the series finale.

For ii) NCIS. Okay, caveat I do feel that (unlike Firefly) this is now a show which has gone on too long and its prime is now in the past, but what a prime it was; great characters who meshed together perfectly, fun and intriguing storylines, and some great one-liners. :D

Honourable mentions: Rizzoli & Isles, Body of Evidenced, CSI. Okay I am not claiming that these are the best TV ever, or even the best of the genre which could be described as "US Cop Show," but in their way they are all well done and perfect for relaxing to.

Please note all of the above is JIMHO.
"I Want My Chirfugging Goose Back!"