Social Networking

A place to chat about anything else, not already covered!
It might be advisable to avoid religion & politics though!

Moderators: David A Harvey, Pags

Spudgun

Social Networking

Post by Spudgun » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd like to ask an odd question if I may. How many of you are social networkers and have signed up to the likes of Facebook and Twitter? I'd like to know why, as it puzzles the hell out of me. To my mind, social networking serves no practicle purpose, so why do people do it? I prefer to go out and interact with real people in real time.
Frau Nydor is watching YOU!

Liz W
Site Admin

Re: Social Networking

Post by Liz W » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 am

Hi Barry

Yes I use social networking.

However I'm not on it every day and I don't get involved with the side extras, like the games and stuff.

I, mainly, use it to keep in touch with people who are a distance away.
For example my friends that I have from my years at university; who are currently scattered across the country!
We are all going away on holiday together later this year and it is very handy for keeping everyone (in one shot) updated on progress.

It is also how I managed to get in touch with the chap who has become our first guest for this year!

That's my thoughts!

Cheers

Liz
-----------------------------------------
http://photosbylizw.wordpress.com

rentawitch

Post by rentawitch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Yes I do. Mainly face book but also boards like this one.

My Discworld friends are spread all over the place. I can't afford to phone them all every day so this is a good way of chatting.

My significnt other lives in New Mexico and we met in Second Life. So some form of online contact is crucial. We use facebook, email, skype, messenger, text, twitter you name it.
and he is very much a 'real' person.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tend to gravitate towards Forums (Ooo look, I'm on one now!). They tend to be specialized and deal with one subject (This one being Armadacon). Although there is a social aspect to them, they're mostly geared towards information that could be of use to the member. I find the likes of Facebook and Twitter far to general in their outlook and thus are of no use to the likes of me. I do get (from time to time) invites to join Facebook, but I simply delete them. It's not that I'm a sourpuss. It's just that I can't see the point of joining something that I have no use for.

E-mail is certainly cheaper than the phone. However, I don't tend to phone anyone because I find E-mail perfectly adaquate. I'm not being critical of on-line contact (Hey, I'm doing it now), I'm mearly puzzling over dedicated sites that are for social purposes.

kerry3e

Post by kerry3e » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:16 pm

GrandDad B

Hey, Man join the social revolution!! I to use the likes of Facebook, mostly typing thoughts on a private members only site and a blog site to post thoughts.....and like Liz keep in contact with people a way away. The limitation that annoys me about Facebook in the limitation to the number of charracters you have to write something that a comment can read too many words which then it can be an exicise in removing this and that while keeping the meaning of the statement!

Personally,I would with your ability at sacasom and cutting people to the quick(no delibrate pun there) is something your'd enjoy!

Always
Kerry3e

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 pm

I like to endulge in wry social commentry, but I don't think Facebook is the place for it. To me, Social Network sites are for blogs and I don't have enough to say (Something has to set me off) to warrant joining. I've seen some blogs that start well, but then 'dry up' after a few months. Newspaper 'Have You Say' type of sites is where I like to visit to deliver a few shots across the bow. The last one was the Daily Mail. You'll love this.

They had a story about someone who was jailed for firearms (a subject close to my heart) offences. Anyway, the Daily Mail put up a picture of assorted 'firearms' (No, they weren't real). They had a 'soundbite' in bold type. It read "The MP40 is currently used by Police Forces around the World". HELLLLLOOOOO. HELLLLOOOOO!!! The MP40 was a WWII German machine pistol. Nobody uses it today! Someone hasn't don't they're homework at the Daily Mail.

They'd confused it with the MP5.

The Daily Mail REALLY got it in the neck! Doing that on Facebook wouldn't have the same impact.

dfuk

Post by dfuk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 pm

mp40 that was better than normal for the mail, i would have expected them to call it a wd40
Dave & Barry, Watching bad movies so you don't have to.

Spudgun

Post by Spudgun » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Is it any wonder why that rag is known as the Daily Fail?